Brand New to Text-Message, Need a help, Thanks
YAMA2012
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi:

I got 'Prepaid' Verizon just recently.  I never had Cell-Phone before, because I'm an occasional telephone user.

I'm a 'stay-home-mom.'

My question is:

How to get  'text-message' address similar to 'e-mail' address.  There are so many, then it's quite confusing. 

As much, I prefer the cheapest one.

Any other help regarding text-message would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Brand New to Text-Message, Need a help, Thanks
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Welcome to the boards! Your text message address is your 10-digit phone number. And you'll send texts to your contacts' 10-digit numbers. You didn't say which phone you have, but when you open a contact, you should see a Messaging option. Or you can open your Messaging app and then choose a contact.

Here's an overview on texting. Hope it helps. Let us know if you have more questions.  Smiley Happy

https://text.vzw.com/customer_site/jsp/overview.jsp

0 Likes
YAMA2012
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.

My phone is, Samsung/Verizon' prepaid cell-phone, because I'm a stay-home-Mon who rarely uses cell-phone,

but seeing Summer is near, then I got one just for 'emergency-basis.'  I love 'text-message' that is very

similar to e-mail.

Few more things I need to ask is:

(1) How to register for service?

(2) Creating a wireless nickname is similar to 'e-mail' account, .... i.e. Susan A?

(3) I see AOL, Google and other providers, .... do you think I need one including Verizon?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which exact phone did you get?  This sounds like a smartphone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

(1) Your phone should already be capable of texting. You just may want to check your plan to see if you have a texting package add-on. Otherwise you will pay individually for each one sent and received, and that can add up. I have never used prepaid, so if you are unable to send or receive a text, call customer service and see if they need to do something on their end.

(2) When someone receives a text from you, that person will see whatever name they've put into their phone for your contact info. If they add you to your contacts as Susan A, that's what they'll see. If they don't have you in their contacts, they'll see your 10-digit number.

If you're interested in just basic texting, you won't need to do anything with the nickname/Vtext address, discussed in the link I sent you. That would be used if you wanted to send a text to an email address, or send someone a text from your computer and have them see it's from either 1234567890@vtext.com or susana@vtext.com. Once you get familiar with texting, maybe you'll want to set up a Vtext address and try it, but you won't need to do this to get started texting.

(3) If I understand your question correctly, you would only need an email address if you're using email on your phone. For instance, if it's a smart phone or a feature phone with mobile email. Is this the case?

I hope this helps!

0 Likes
YAMA2012
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks ALL for taking time to help me out. 

My questions regarding 'text-messaging' has been answered, for that I feel REALLY relieved and VERY grateful.

I'm so glad to find and posted my query onto this board.  Folks are so nice and first of all, I think I got

a right cell-phone provider, 'Verizon' knowing there are good folks to help me out.

Thanks ALL.  Have a GREAT and very pleasant day!!!