Buying an iPhone at upgrade pricing, then selling it?
Umich52

Hey everyone,

Currently I have an iPhone 4 and I have an available upgrade. I don't really need an iPhone 5 for any real reason other than it's a "new" phone. I was wondering if it's possible to simply buy the iPhone 5 at a discounted price then sell it to someone else online or locally. Does Verizon allow you to do this? Are there rules around activating it?

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Buying an iPhone at upgrade pricing, then selling it?
TheGuyUpNorth
Contributor - Level 1

You could do this, just realize that you are subject to new contract terms such as shared data, along with being on the hook for another two years.  In terms of activation, you may need to briefly activate it on your new plan, but then simply grab the iPhone 4 and reactivate it for that line.  Once you do this, the iPhone5 ESN will be clear to sell.  You will make a few bucks, but again, it leaves you with no options for the next two years.

0 Likes
Re: Buying an iPhone at upgrade pricing, then selling it?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To expand on this ... if the OP has unlimited data, that will be lost with an upgrade since unlimited data plans are no longer available.  They will be switched to a 2 GB ($30) data plan or can choose to switch their account to a Share Everything plan (unless upgrading somewhere other than Verizon, then the only option is to switch to Share Everything).

I believe that if the phone is not at least briefly activated on the line, that you then are charged the full retail price of the phone.

0 Likes