Caller ID: Calling From Verizon Wireless Phone to Verizon Landline
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For as long as I can remember, whenever I used my cell phone to call a landline that subscribes to Caller ID Name & Number, my cellular number would be displayed along with the name of the state that the number is resident in. Earlier today, I made a call from my cellphone to my landline, and, saw my cellular number appear as expected, but, instead of the name of the state, my name was displayed....as a mixture of upper and lowercase letters.

I called Verizon Wireless support to see if the company has had a policy change in that subscribers will now have their names passed when calling from their cellphones to landlines, but, neither of the two people I spoke with could locate such a change.

Now, this is not a function of the Share Name ID feature offered by Verizon Wireless as that only applies to calls from one Verizon Wireless phone to another Verizon Wireless phone. This is someone going into the LIDB and adding my name to my cellular telephone number so that my name is passed along to landline telephones that subscribe to Caller ID name & number.

I did a quick scan of my Verizon bills (I'm holding onto my one bill) and didn't see anything mentioning a change.

Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless has instituted a policy change concerning the forwarding of the names of subscribers as a part of Caller ID data? I did ask the second technician to change the way my name appears on landline displays to match the way Verizon Core (Ma Bell) does it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Caller ID: Calling From Verizon Wireless Phone to Verizon Landline
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all the time and effort you've put into researching what changed regarding your outbound Caller ID to landline numbers, dexman. I can understand your concern with the privacy of your calls. Share Name ID is actually a free service that is available for personalizing your outbound Caller ID to any compatible Caller Name ID subscriber, wireless and landline alike. It is not a feature that only applies to calls that are Verizon to Verizon. The default shared ID is the billing name on your account. If the change suddenly began to appear, the landline provider may have recently begun participating in the Caller Name ID service. You can change your Share Name ID using the steps in #5 at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/share-name-id-faqs whenever you'd like. If you'd prefer for your name to not be shared, you can also use the steps in #16 to opt out of Share Name ID and the ID will appear as Wireless Caller.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID: Calling From Verizon Wireless Phone to Verizon Landline
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry Jennifer. What you posted isn't entirely true.

Per Verizon Wireless's own description, Share applies ONLY when calling from one Verizon Wireless phone to another. It does NOT apply when calling from a Verizon Wireless phone to a landline.

Also, AFTER I noticed the change in how Caller ID looked, I checked which option was selected for Share. The option "Cellular Phone" was in effect. So, when calling my landline, my number should have been accompanied by the words "Cellular Phone".

This only further proves that the Share option has no bearing on what is displayed when calling from a cellular phone to a landline.

Also, my brother is a Verizon Wireless and Verizon Core customer. I had him use his smartphone to call my landline. His name also appears with his smartphone number.

So, Verizon Wireless is now sending the name of the cellular subscriber as opposed to a more generic "Cellular Phone" or the name of the state that the NPA is based out of.

My question still stands....When did this change take effect?