Can I keep my device and cancel another line on my account?
Ed22192

My contract is up on April 8th, and I want to keep my phone but cancel a different line on the same account, (that line's contract doesn't end until 2015) I don't mind losing the data unlimited plan that is on the line I want to cancel but I do want to keep my number. Is this possible?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching lines in same plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ed22192,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are looking to remove a line from your account. Any reason specifically you are looking to remove it? As for the process, can you elaborate exactly on what you are trying to do. It just sounds like you are cancelling a line and keeping your line. If you are cancelling a different line then yours then that will not affect your number or line. Please confirm if that is what you are trying to do, and if not what you are trying to do.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ed22192,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are looking to remove a line from your account. Any reason specifically you are looking to remove it? As for the process, can you elaborate exactly on what you are trying to do. It just sounds like you are cancelling a line and keeping your line. If you are cancelling a different line then yours then that will not affect your number or line. Please confirm if that is what you are trying to do, and if not what you are trying to do.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So the line you're using, let's say line A, has a contract ending April 8th. Then you have another line, for all intents and purposes we'll call that line B, that has a contract expiring in 2015. You want to terminate use of line A and use line B but you want to keep the telephone number that is associated with line A and you don't care about the unlimited data on line A.

Sorry to say this will not happen. Here is why (I am guessing). Please don't think I am being rude here. I am just trying to help answer your questions.

Step 1. Line A wasn't eligible for for an upgrade but you wanted/needed a new phone.

Step 2. You either already had line B or added line B to get the new phone at the discounted price with a 2 year contract.

When doing this you are NOT signing a contract to for the phone, you are stating that by purchasing the phone using this line of service you will keep this line of service on the VZW network. Contracts are how they make up for the subsidy on the device. The device is then free to move to line A, B, C or D on your account but the contract does not move with the device.

You have a few options.

1) Keep both lines in question and pay for the line B until it is out of contract regardless of if you use it or not. My guess is that you don't but depending on your price plan this may be the best option.

2) Cancel line A  at the end of the contract to save whatever amount of mont you'll save. This will mean you will lose that phone number and will have to transfer the device you are using to line B and begin using this number.

3) Cancel line B and pay the early termination fee. My guess is that this may not be the best option depending on how many other lines are on your account. If it is just the 2 it may be a viable option since you may save upwards of $30 a month depending on what you would pay for the single line. If you have 3 or more lines, you would save only $10 a month which doesn't save since you're ETF is usually more than paying the $10 for the rest of the contract.

0 Likes