Can I port a number that's out of contract to another phone?
NattyPButter

Can I port the number from my iphone 5s when it's out of contract in a few weeks, and place it on a iphone 6 that's already bought on a new line and cancel the line?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I port a number that's out of contract to another phone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NattyPButter

need more then just a no. Why wouldn't not be able to port the number which should cancel the line in the process and have it used on the iphone 6? Usually when you port the number off a phone it cancels service.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't switch contract, Edge payment program or phone numbers between the lines of service you have on your account. Basically, the answer is still no.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NattyPButter

so pretty much i'd have to just port the number out some place else instead of verizon and get the line canceled. Then port it to the iphone 6.

0 Likes
kayleeates
Contributor - Level 1

you can request to save the number you want and then cancel the out of contract line and have the saved number put on the iphone 6

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Kayeeates, that is incorrect. If you cancel the line, the number is lost. Also if you open a new Verizon Wireless account within 60 days of cancellation, they will only reactivate the previous account and assign a new number to it.

0 Likes
NattyPButter

OK...hopefully that's possible.

0 Likes
NattyPButter

but I wouldn't be opening a new account after it was canceled. The account is already made and will have it's own number already. I just want to use my number instead.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then why couldn't you wait the few weeks until your current account is eligible for the upgrade and not have this hassle? In it was announced yesterday if your contract ends before 2014/11/15, you could have upgraded early for the two year contract price.

Now you have to wait until your contract date and port the number you want to another carrier, start a plan there and turn around and cancel the other carrier plan by porting the preferred number on top of the temporary phone number you got when you purchased the iPhone 6. It is more hassle then it is worth. I should know as I have done something very similar three years ago.

0 Likes