Can I upgrade early and leave unlimited data plan?
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

After it came out that Verizon would be adding $20 to the unlimited plans I checked into upgrading early. I'm currently on a 2 year contract still with the unlimited data. Verizon confirmed that it ends in March. I've also been told by 2 reps one being a store manager, that we can upgrade early and change over to the newer plan and pay for the phone per month. I call in today to upgrade and the guy tells me that I couldn't.

He also didn't know much about the $20 fee per line, or the fact that after this weekend they will charge $20 upgrade fees. It took a bit being on hold for him to find the info on it and then quickly said no we can't upgrade. Didn't want to go through the past account notes to check and see any info that might be in there. Been having some issues lately so I've had to call in a few times.

So I'm completely confused! If getting people off these unlimited plans is such a big deal why not let them upgrade early as long as they are staying with Verizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I upgrade early and leave unlimited data plan?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

My understanding is early upgrade isn't something you can just ask for. It's something that's offered. You can check to see if you're being offered early upgrade by logging into your Verizon account, finding the device in question and hitting the upgrade button. It should be clear based on what that does/says "upgrade early" "upgrade at full price" etc.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Normally Early Upgrades are not allowed until much closer to contract end dates.  This effectively cancels the contract and the contract phone is returned to compensate for the ETF in lieu of actual money.  Current customers on contract can switch to the new plan at anytime, with no upgrade, and get the plan rate advertised, but the access fee isn't $20, it stays $40 until the end of the contract.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

My understanding is early upgrade isn't something you can just ask for. It's something that's offered. You can check to see if you're being offered early upgrade by logging into your Verizon account, finding the device in question and hitting the upgrade button. It should be clear based on what that does/says "upgrade early" "upgrade at full price" etc.

0 Likes
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

What?!

When the rep broke down the pricing we would get the 18 GB for $100 a month and then $20 per each line (2) because we already have phones. So the plan would stay around what we have right now which is $145ish per month. Actually a tiny bit less because I would be dropping the insurance on my line.

So it's $40 per line and not the $20?

I'm getting frustrated because I don't want any surprises on my next bill if changes are made. I'm also curious if my plan even falls under the new $20 fee after our contract ends since our plan was never through Verizon's unlimited. We have an Alltel Friends & Family with the unlimited data built in.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The data portion of your plan is NOT a contract, which is why you're allowed to change your data whenever you please. Get more data, get less data, your choice. Your PHONE however is in contract. You bought that phone for a discounted rate, and in order to make up for that you're access line fee is $40. You must finish out that contract, so even on the new plans your line access fee will be $40, and once you're no longer in contract on the new plans it will drop down to $20 (though you may have to call in order for this to happen.)

If you're offered early upgrade, you must turn in the phone that is currently on contract, this also makes up for you getting the phone at a discounted rate when you originally purchased it. At that point you can get a new phone on the DPP, but again this is something that has to be offered to you. Not everyone qualifies.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Contract lines are $40 access until the end of the contract.

The new plan, which is NOT a contract, is $20.

This is because on contract, the subsidized phone cost is included in the $40. (No such thing as a free phone, or a $600 Smartphone for $200)

On a payment plan or BYOD, or if you already have your phone paid off or are out of contract, the line charge (access fee) is lowered.

Reps come and go, training is incomplete or sparse and the things we know here on the Forums is because of our length of time here, through all the plan and promo changes.  It is quite possible that a rep can get very confused trying to offer or understand any old plan, especially Alltel plans, that is no longer offered or has any info displayed on their screen.  Early Upgrades are generally a huge hassle due to the condition of the returned phone, the time waiting for return to warehouse and acceptance/approval of the returned phone, the charges that might still be incurred (upwards of $299) and other details that are hard to remember or explain because honestly, the reps sell what is in front of them, not try to figure out the workarounds of the system.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having accurate information is key when deciding what to do with your plan and phones Kyla1234. I want to help make sure everything is understood with your account. I sent you a private message so  I can best assist. I look forward to hearing from you.
NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kyla1234
Contributor - Level 1

Snn5 & MiiHere-

How would you find out if you're excluded from the $20 per line increase for unlimited after the contract ends? From my understanding on what I've read so far this fee will only be applied to the unlimited accounts who started out with Verizon and not the ones that were acquired when Verizon took over Alltel.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It applies to all unlimited accounts.  All unlimited accounts will be raised $20.  No exclusions except for government and some business contracts.  Customers under contract will not see the increase until the month after contract ends.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Verizon seems to have just reached a point where unlimited data isn't worth it, hence the raise. My thoughts are they won't be sad to see you change your plans as to avoid the increase, that is their goal, even if that that means leaving Verizon.

In comparison to what I'm paying now, the new plants aren't TERRIBLE, but what stinks is having a phone in contract when you switch because you can't get that $20 line access fee.

0 Likes