Re: Can i keep unlimited data if family member upgrades?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I'm guessing they somehow got confused.  No way Verizon wants to deal with the uproar of a line being changed that's not even upgrading.

0 Likes
Zenith629
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope you're correct. In my opinion, no-one should lose Unlimited Data on one line when a family member on another line upgrades from a Basic to a subsidized Smartphone (after the 28th). I was quite disappointed to learn what I did. Having both the Superviser and a second agent confirm this information did make it appear that Verizon just clarified their new policy with more bad news (for us). Indeed, that is what I was told. The new training program just started this week and not all agents have received the new training. That is why I posted what I was informed. I am interested to learn if others hear the same new and disappointing information from Verizon today or later this week.

0 Likes
TheThor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you everyone for your responses. Our family of four is currently on the Family Talk and Text Plan and my concern is that even if my father and i are not forced off our unlimited data after my mother and brother upgrades to a smartphone after the 28th, what would the cost be like? I'm not sure how it would work. Two phones would be on shared data while the other two would be on a separate plan for unlimited data?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If the 2 phones with unlimited data stay as is, I would think your best option would be to put the 2 new smartphones on one of the tiered plans(minimum $30/phone for 2GB data each). That way all of your phones would share the same minutes on your Family plan.

If you put the 2 new smartphones on shared data, you will not be able to share the minutes on your Family Plan with them, they would be paying the $40/phone for access fee + minimum $50 for 1GB shared data for a total of $130 minimum charge.

Additionally, you would still have the Family plan to pay for with 2 unlimited data packages.

0 Likes
TheThor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right, that's what i'm thinking too. It would ridiculously expensive to pay for both our existing Family Plan and the new Family Shared Plan.

0 Likes
TheThor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another question for ya, if we pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S3 for the new smartphones today, but the phone won't arrive until July 10th, would i still be able to keep them on the 2gb individual data plan?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

The question comes down to "how much of your 'unlimited' data do you actually use on your current smartphones?"

Yes, unlimited is nice, but if you currently use less than 2GB/month on each of those 2 phones, it would be cheaper to migrate to the Share Everything plan with all of your phones. I personally have 2 smartphones each using less than 1GB/month for a total of less than 2GB for 2 phones with unlimited plans.

Not sure how many minutes you use, but I will use 1400 minutes as an example.

4 phones on the Family share Talk and Text w/1400 minutes = $140

2 phones with unlimited = $60

2 phones with 2GB tier = $60

Total = $260

4 smartphones on the Share Everything plan = $160 access fees (4*$40)

8GB in shared data = $90

Total = $250 (savings of $10)

If as I suggested, you use less than 2GB/month on each of the unlimited plans, you could even possibly go lower in shared data; 6GB for $80, 4GB for $70, 2GB for $60 and 1GB for $50. It all depends on how much data you actually use.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

TheThor wrote:

Another question for ya, if we pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S3 for the new smartphones today, but the phone won't arrive until July 10th, would i still be able to keep them on the 2gb individual data plan?

Yes, the individual data plans will still be available after the new Share Everything plan takes effect.

0 Likes
pamela80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Important question here.  I have unlimited data on my line for my family account, if my sister upgrades to the iphone 5 (she has a basic phone now) can she just give it to me after it's activated and then I get to use my unlimited data with it?  I was going to upgrade to the galaxy s3 while i can still upgrade with unlimited data and then give it to her if i can use her upgrade for the iphone 5.  thank you!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

pamela80 wrote:

Important question here.  I have unlimited data on my line for my family account, if my sister upgrades to the iphone 5 (she has a basic phone now) can she just give it to me after it's activated and then I get to use my unlimited data with it?  I was going to upgrade to the galaxy s3 while i can still upgrade with unlimited data and then give it to her if i can use her upgrade for the iphone 5.  thank you!

From my understanding, it should work.  That's assuming Verizon doesn't change their policy between June 28th and the iPhone 5 launch which isn't totally out of the question.

0 Likes