Can someone provide me some answers on Early Termination Billing?
ksgtarheel

First off, Thanks in advance. I've been w/Verizon for about 2 and 1/2 years now. I'm about 10 months into my renewal contract.

Bottom line is I am having a hard time justifying the cost of my monthly cell bill (around $55) based on how little I use it. I know I made too quick of a decision to renew instead of weighing all my options. I typically only use between 1/4th and 1/2 of my alotted minutes each month. So I am planning on cancelling my contract. I plan on doing so by porting my number to a different carrier. I understand that this will handle the verizon cancelation for me. I completely understand that there will be an early termination fee. I'm not trying to get out of it. It's part of the contract terms.

Onto my questions:

- Upon cancelling, will I owe any outstanding bill payment in addition to the early termination fee?

- Will there be a time table given for me to pay the early termination fee in full or make monthly payments toward fulfillment? or will I have to pay it all at once?

- I wouldn't be keeping the same phone when I switch. Does Verizon want the old phone back?

Thanks in advance and thanks to Verizon for the great service while I've been a customer,

Kyle

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can someone provide me some answers on Early Termination Billing?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

ksgtarheel wrote:

Onto my questions:

- Upon cancelling, will I owe any outstanding bill payment in addition to the early termination fee?  Your final bill will be generated, termination fee calculated, any overage, roaming, or unbilled charges from the previous month will be added.

- Will there be a time table given for me to pay the early termination fee in full or make monthly payments toward fulfillment? or will I have to pay it all at once? Normally it will be due all at once, by the due date.  If you need to make arrangements, call well ahead of time to see if it's possible.  It may affect when your number is released to be ported and available to your new carrier.

- I wouldn't be keeping the same phone when I switch. Does Verizon want the old phone back? No, the phone is yours and you can sell it to recoup some of the ETF, if you can find a buyer.  Be aware that the phone will not have a clear ESN until your bill is completely settled (including the ETF) so whoever buys it will not be able to activate and use it until your account is clear.

Thanks in advance and thanks to Verizon for the great service while I've been a customer,

Kyle

0 Likes
jmmagyar

" It may affect when your number is released to be ported and available to your new carrier."
The porting will not be affected by when you pay the ETF, because the line will already be ported before the ETF is ever applied.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

She is talking about the phone. It will not have a clean ESN until after the bills are paid.

0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you all for your replies.

Hello ksgtarheel,

Thanks for posting. We certainly wouldn’t want to loose you as a customer. We can definitely review your account to see if there’s a plan that benefits you.

If you decide to terminate your agreement, as SuzyQ mentioned, a final bill will generate which will include your early termination fee and may include delayed roaming, feature or airtime charges and any taxes associated with this. Your bill is due at the same date every month. Once you disconnect it will be due the following month on the same date. As community members advised, the device is yours to keep and does not need to be returned back to Verizon Wireless.

If you port out your number and then decide to port back to Verizon Wireless with in 50 days we will refund your early termination fee. Feel free to DM for further assistance with your account.

Thanks,

DaisyP_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LE2Strat
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd like to bring this back up.  Have a friend looking at this and this is his plan:

Say you port your number off to somebody, and you get your final bill with ETF included.  Lets just say the bill is $300 as an example)

You make a payment $100 instead of the full $300.  Won't Verizon just send a bill the month after that for $200 (plus a late fee)?  You pay another $100 the next month, and the 3rd month Verizon will still send you a bill for the last $100 (once again plus late fees).

Since you also don't have service with Verizon anymore, they can't cut off your sevice.  As long as you can take a few late fees added, it would just be like having a credit card balance where they take on interest each month.  As long as you don't take to long to pay it off, you shouldn't get sent to collections.

0 Likes