Cell number shows as belonging to New Cingular Wireless
scargile

In order to safeguard against spoofing and other scams and to ensure that my info shows up correctly during online look-ups, I came across something worrying today: when putting my cell # into various phone number look-up web sites, many of them come back showing my number as being one that belongs to New Cingular Wireless.

Has anyone else run into this?  If my cell # and phone are part of Verizon's network and that's who my account is with, why would it show up as any other way?

Thanks!.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cell number shows as belonging to New Cingular Wireless
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it possible the number was originally assigned to New Cingular Wireless (now AT&T) when the exchange or group of numbers was first issued?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it possible the number was originally assigned to New Cingular Wireless (now AT&T) when the exchange or group of numbers was first issued?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
scargile

Thanks Ann154​ - you're exactly right.  About 20 years ago when I first got this number is was through an employer and it WAS on AT&T at the time.

Would have thought things like that got updated when a consumer moved their number to a new provider, but guess not...

Thanks again for shaking some very old cobwebs loose!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the number portability available now days, I suppose those databases could work on updating where the number currently resides, but I think in some ways the number will always be tied in its history to the originating carrier.

0 Likes
davidlanning

My issue is similar, but the cyberscan I use shows that someone else has my number, and I get telemarketing calls from them.  Doing an online search gives me the same information, and that the number was issued by New Cingular Wireless.  You can't have the same number with two different carriers.

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You cannot have the same number with two different carriers. However, the numbers do not always stay with the same carrier. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to port a number from one carrier to another. It can take time for a directory to catch up with which carrier it's at now. Please send us Private Note, so we can address your specific issue with the telemarketing calls. We'd like to get some clarification on it.

0 Likes