Charged for Data while on Wifi
poonugget

I have been having a problem with unusually high data charges on my Verizon Bill.  I've discussed with a Verizon rep and of course it isn't their fault it is the phone, well we've switched phones and still had the same problem.  So now Verizon is saying that the wifi service we are using is kicking us off of wifi and then connecting to verizon data.  Literally on & off of data several times in the same minute while connected to wifi.  Funny thing is while on our laptop on the same wifi system we aren't getting kicked off wifi at all.  SO, we went into our verizon smartphone and turned off data completely, well low and behold we are having NO problems being kicked off of wifi.  Called Verizon and got a canned response.  I pay $30 a month for 4gb and just want to be able to use the smartphone the way it was intended!!!!  Have been doing some research and found that this isn't just a problem I've been having.  I filed an FCC complaint (for whatever good that does other than make me feel better).  Also attached a video to FCC of phone data turned off and being on wifi on the smartphone and not being kicked off, then video of data turned on and being on wifi AND charged data.  Is anyone on here having these problems.  I refuse to pay overage charges.  We've been with verizon since the 90's, maybe that's a mistake now.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Charged for Data while on Wifi
jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

CNEVINC's Wi-Fi 3G Switcher in Google Play Store may help. It's a simple on/off switch for the homescreen to easily manage wifi/data connections with both activated in the system settings. The foolproof way to manage your online connections, as you've discovered, is to manually turn off 3G/4G in system settings until needed.

0 Likes
kdizzle05
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having the same problem with my iphone 5. Verizon keeps saying that it is not happening but when I pull up my bill and look at the data useage there is always 30,000 or more KB being used in the middle of the night when I know I am alsleep, at home, connected to wifi. I've been to the Apple store twice and they also say they fixed the problem. I just got my latest bill and there is $30 worth of data overage charges! I refuse to keep paying for something that isnt my fault. How can I be using up data when I am connected to wifi? Why cant a verizon rep actually answer this question??

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kdizzle05

We definitely want to make sure you're only making a data connection when you want to be! Let's take a look at this together. Which iOS are you currently running on your phone? http://vz.to/1zw1ZO8 Can you try the reset option found on the bottom of this page? http://vz.to/1oOKAsM If these don't change you're experience with losing your WiFi connect overnight, I do recommend turning off Cellular Data at home when you'd prefer to make a WiFi connection. Here's how: http://vz.to/1q5yyR6

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BigKitty
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is a smple fix 1 settings 2 data 3 turn off mobil data. this will keep you locked into WIFI and if you need the mobile data you can turn it on.  I have found by turning off mobile data i do not lose connections also on your wifi make sure you reset the connection once a month if possable. auto log in on the wifi helps as well.

0 Likes
jes901
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes. Verizon does charge for data while using WIFI. I just spoke with customer service to confirm this. A quick review of my last 3 months bill confirms this. There is a setting in iphones that shuts off cellular data, but they will never tell you this. I am a customer of verizon since before it was verizon (ameritech) and have 5 lines. The philosophy of the company is definitely "us vs them" and can we stick it to our customers. Very dissapointing.

Sickofcrooks
Enthusiast - Level 1

So where is this setting? I'm trying to figure this out? I just switched to Verizon from sprint a week ago and have 4 lines ported over and seriously regret the switch!! I'm already over my 10gb data in less than two weeks with our 4 phone lines it's horrible 😞

Sickofcrooks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to go back to sprint even they were better than Verizon at this point and THAT is bad to say!!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The WiFi turns off and reverts to Mobile Data during periods of idle or inactivity to save battery.  You can turn off Cellular/Mobile Data from the switch button in the phone menu.

0 Likes
gerbstat

I'm having the same problem when using Disney + on wifi. The service was NOT secured through Verizon, and my iphone 7 is clearly showing I am using wi-fi. I can't seem to get a real person to speak to about it, and the replies I get from support are "we need more info" and "check here for data usage". I'm looking for another carrier.

0 Likes