Charging for Bandwidth Verizon's Bloatware is using?
igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

So now if you get a brand new smartphone, you need to pick from a limited data plan. The smartphone is LOADED with programs that turn themselves on and services that the end user is not aware of that use your bandwith. So essentially Verizon is asking you to pay for the bandwith for programs and services you can not remove or shut off. Take a brand new, out of the box smartphone and turn it on, from that moment on you are transmitting and receiveing data through Verizons network and racking up the data use, even if you only use the phone for a phone and text messages. Am I missing something here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Charging for Bandwidth Verizon's Bloatware is using?
Tidbits
Legend

Like what for example. I have yet to see bloat use data unless I initiate them. Also just because they are in the "task manager" showing they are running doesn't mean they are running. The <Developer> community and Google has openly stated multiple times.

<Post edited to comply with the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Tidbits
Legend

FYI those free apps use data... Those advertisements have to get there from somewhere. Chances are that's where most of the data usage comes from.

AZSALUKI
Legend

yes...you are missing something. you are missing the fact that they don't use data unless you set them up. take the blockbuster app for example. if you simply NEVER open it, then it it will never access data. it's that simple. you don't have to allow any of them to update and you don't have to set any of them up. just leave them be and they won't access the network.

Charging for Bandwidth Verizon's Bloatware is using?
igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

I hear what your are saying, but these programs start themselves and show as running processes and services with a use of memory and have cache data saved. Case in point there is a program called IM that has been running for the last 27 hours using 3.3 meg of memory. It is obvioulsy doing something and has data in the cache. Tell me how this is not using bandwidth, and memory? Like the short cuts Verizon has hard coded into their web browser that can not be removed, these are items I don't want or need and are still running in the back ground. I am just glad I am still grandfathered into an unlimited plan.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You must be stopping these applications for them to keep in the memory. My Thunderbolt is completely stock and yet none of the pre-installed application are using memory or using any resources.

Why not? Because I let the Android operating system manage itself!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Tidbits
Legend

Do you know how Android works? How ram works?

Ram uses the same power whether it is empty or full. Android will drop that cache eventually when you need more ram. ALL android devices do this. It has nothing to do with bloatware. See GSM Galaxy Nexus for more detail.

Processes are finicky with task killers because of the library in use and not the app itself. If it uses the same library as something else it appears to have a process because of that library.

Force closing a ram outside the system the wrong way(99% of task killers) will make Android OS re-cache the processes as the OS believes it was closed improperly. This uses more power than allowing the OS to do memory management on its own.

Google and a lot of developers have a long write up somewhere which can be found on various places. All of them suggest not using a task killer to be your guide.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Will this article from androidcentral help, Tidbits?

http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care?style_mobile=0

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Tidbits
Legend

Somewhat. There's one written by JBQ a while back that I am looking for.

0 Likes