Chrome Remote Desktop doesn't connect over 4G LTE
Mattgyver
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm part of a VZW wireless business account. I'm tech support for my company. When I need to remote access my system after hours to work on servers, Chrome Remote Desktop (CRD) won't connect over VZW's LTE network; I have to connect over WiFi. Depending on where I am at the time, I may not have WiFi available.

Is Verizon limiting what type of data is going across it's network during peak times? I get about a 10% success rate using CRD over the mobile network, and it seems to work somewhat better between 10am and 2pm daily.

If I use my personal phone (not on the VZW network) at the exact same time, CRD will run fine.

It's not a phone issue. I have two different types of Android phone that I've tried it on, and the one other tech uses an iPhone at work, and he can't use his CRD either.

Any help figuring it out would be appreciated, as it's affecting how I can do my job after-hours!

Labels (1)
Re: Chrome Remote Desktop doesn't connect over 4G LTE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mattgyver-

I am also tech support for my company, VZW, so I definitely understand how important it is to have all of your tools available and ready to use at all times. Here at Verizon, we never limit the type of data that you can use, so it is troubling to me that the Google Chrome Desktop is not connecting over the LTE network. I want to get to the bottom of this right away. What seems to happen when you try to connect the CRD using the mobile network? When was the last time the connection was successful? What has changed (if anything) since the last time you were able to successfuly connect?
AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have APN access, could you see if a difference is made by forcing IPV6 or IPV4 only? Not that it matters, except for the fact that Verizon does some injection of HTTP traffic for advertising purposes on consumer accounts, and there is also CGNAT / Caching proxies at hand. Chrome remote desktop should not be affected by this due to encryption, but something to consider.

Verizon should not be blocking the application, and legally cannot.

Mattgyver
Enthusiast - Level 1

- when I try to open my remote computer in CRD over the mobile network, it tells me that it "cannot reach the host, possibly due to configuration of the network you are on." If I turn in WiFi, and tap on my remote computer, it connects right away. If I turn off WiFi and try again, it won't connect.

There is seriously no difference between successfully connecting and not being able to connect aside from whether I'm on WiFi or on VZW's 4g network.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mattgyver-

Thank you so much for providing me that added information. I know how important it is that we get this resolved in no time. Are you able to connect other devices over the 4G LTE network? How long has it been giving you the error "cannot connect to host.."?
AmberK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Rdarg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Where's your answer?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rdarg,

We are right here to offer the helping hand that you need! What exactly can we assist with?

AliciaS_VZW

0 Likes
rrkhh
Enthusiast - Level 1

having same problem as original post..........why is there no help???

foreverplay
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has started to happen to me now too, my 4G just dies instantly when i try to connect to CRD but if i'm not trying to use CRD the data is fine. CRD works fine with wifi turned on so something is up with verizon and google.

mw86
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue on my Samsung Note 5 over Verizon Lte trying Chrome Remote Desktop when I go to connect to my PC my entire mobile data connection is being reset from the my carrier verizon as it happens automatically and only when i go to actually connect using Google Chrome Remote Desktop. Nothing is reset in my connection as shown on the status bar when I use my WiFI on my Galaxy Note 5 handset. This is repeatable and we can upload a video to prove it if necessary. Why is Verizon blocking me from using Google Chrome Remote Desktop. Other carriers are not doing this to their customers. The network for proffesionals should not be stopping remote connection programs. As far as I know this is only on Google Chrome Remote Desktop, because this has not happened to me on Teamviewer over my Verizon Mobile Data connection. My issue I am reporting is the same as the original poster. Verizon we are stating what is happening as we have observed, the Original Poster may not of stated the Mobile Data connection resets but I am and the last user to post above me is reporting it to. This seems like a deliberate built in mechanism causing Verizon to reset the mobile data connection the moment it detects an attempt of chrome remote desktop app to connect over Verizons internet connection. Under fair use this is not legal as a user above has also mentioned. Please reply Verizon.

0 Likes