Complimentary Tablet? I think NOT!
philhulett
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I upgraded my FiOs to Quantum I received a voucher that says "Claim Your Complimentary Tablet Today!" I am instructed to bring the voucher in to a Verizon Wireless corporate store and pick one of two 8-inch tablets. I selected the LG G Pad 8.3 LTE. The sales associate informed me that I would have to pay tax on the retail price of the tablet, which I expected, but I would also have to pay a $40 "Upgrade Fee." You see, I have an old tablet and I want to swap the number from that one to the new one.

Reading the terms of the "free tablet" it says I would be required to pay an activation fee/line: up to $35.

A few questions

1. since I already have a line, do I need to activate it, or is the fee required to activate the tablet?
  2. can I still get the table if I don't want to activate it and use it exclusively with wi-fi?
  3. can I take the voucher to Costco and get the table?
  4. and in whose world is $60 (tax and activation) the definition of "Complimentary?"
Labels (1)
Re: Complimentary Tablet? I think NOT!
pherson
Champion - Level 1

1. Upgrade fee. Yes.

2 and 3: no.

4. There us no such thing as a free lunch. Remember when people got free phones but had to pay for the service?

5. If you don't like it you aren't obligated. Real talk.

philhulett
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good to know because there's nothing about an upgrade fee in the legalese. Unless you meant activation fee, I may have just moved ahead $40.

By the way, the free lunch thing...i get that. What I fund repugnant is, Verizon thanked me for spending an extra $150 a month for Quantum by giving me a $150 voucher. The gal in the store said, thanks for being a loyal customer (since shoe phones), now gimme 60 bucks.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Ok.

So pay it and get your "discounted from several hundred dollars to free" tablet, or dont. And upgrade fees are now 40 bucks. It is what it is. You can avoid it tho by paying full retail of the device. A lot of us customers do that now.

0 Likes
philhulett
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess the point is lost here. I don't need nor want a new tablet.

Thank you, now pay me.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

philhulett wrote:

I guess the point is lost here. I don't need nor want a new tablet.

Thank you, now pay me.

Nothing to pay. If you don't want it discard the voucher.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Your gut instinct is correct.  It's not free.  Aside from upgrade fee and taxes, you have to use the cellular $10 a month plan and will be charged if you end the plan early.  ( 2 year contract )

IF you did want a new tablet, it might be more cost effective to buy one outright and hot spot it to your phone.

tarheelfanbc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the "free" tablet too, and noticed on my bill the following month that they charged a $100 equipment charge under that line for the tablet. It's a big scam! i kept asking the salesperson for a line item bill when i went to sign but he said he couldnt provide one until after i signed and then he could print one, it's all a big scam! Can't wait to get off Verizon! i tell everyone i know not to go to Verizon.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The free tablet, has no retail charge.  The cost is in the $10 a month line fee.  And the activation fee of $40 for a new line of service as well.

I Have always been shown a list of charges on a tablet before check out.

perhaps you were at an authorized retailer, not a Verizon store.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

tarheelfanbc wrote:

i kept asking the salesperson for a line item bill when i went to sign but he said he couldnt provide one until after i signed and then he could print one

Wow, that is a big red flag! I would never sign something in that situation. Was this a "Premium Retailer" rather than a corporate store.