Coverage map lies
Roussell
Enthusiast - Level 1

We recently visited Lake Fausse Pointe State Park in Louisiana. Granted, this campground is "out there" but I checked beforehand and Verizon's coverage map showed the area solidly in the 4G LTE coverage area. Long story short, this area has no coverage at all. As a matter of fact we had to drive 8.5 miles to a random spot on the road where we could pull over and make calls, check messages, etc. We had to do this every day to check on family members back home. The land is completely flat (It's southern Louisiana so....). Irritatingly, the "blue" network had coverage there. Been with Verizon for decades, but this may be changing soon. There's little excuse in 2021 to not have at least voice calling ability anywhere in the US. I included a map showing the obvious and grossly incorrect map. The green circle shows the location of the state park, seemingly (and falsely) swimming in LTE coverage.

Green circle shows area of Lake Fausse State ParkGreen circle shows area of Lake Fausse State Park

0 Likes
Re: Coverage map lies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roussell, we never want you to consider leaving us. I completely understand how important it is to stay connected. Especially while traveling. 

As you mentioned, this area does show some coverage. What make/model phone(s) do you have? Do you know if the settings were set to Roaming-ON? Are you still in this area? 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
Roussell
Enthusiast - Level 1

iPhone Xs Max, cellular data roaming off. Not paying ridiculous roaming charges, especially in an area that Verizon is supposed to cover. No longer in the area, and won't be back for several months. We travel in our RV and hit spots all over the place that are similar; this is just one example.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The aversion to roaming tells me you've been a customer for a long, and the good news is that all of our unlimited plans will not bill for roaming as long as you are in the United States.

Turning Data Roaming on is a good first step. Additionally If you end up in an area with only Wi-Fi, let's ensure Wi-fi calling is on too. Here's how: 
https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-208397/

0 Likes
mdbratch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem with the coverage map.

I live in Webster NY. If you look at the coverage map, it's solid great 4G coverage for our whole town. However, I often get a dropped call and my signal level will drop out low enough that the phone switches to wifi calling, or sometimes loses the call altogether.

I've been investigating other carriers as well. I've been with Verizon many, many years and have stuck with them because of their coverage. However, I no longer trust the claims of coverage as shown on the map.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have excellent service. We'd like to see what's going on. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please send us a Private Note for assistance.*Melissa

0 Likes
musicmatt1976

I have the same problem in Wausau, WI. 4G LTE coverage all over the map of the city (75,000 people) but one to two bars in most spots, even on the highway as it's hooked up to Apple Play. We just switched over from AT&T, who had service in all these areas, and got a new iPhone 13 Pro Max with Verizon.... doesn't get any better than that phone. So...what's up Verizon??? I hope I didn't make a huge mistake.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello musicmatt1976. We're truly sorry to learn that you're experiencing issues with service. We can definitely look into this for you. What specific services are you having difficulty using? Calls, texts, or data? Also, is this happening when using your phone indoors, outdoors, or both? 

-Tanisha

0 Likes