Customer Service Wait Time for Transferring Number
jigncsu1984
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been trying to transfer my mom's cell phone number from straight talk to verizon so she can keep her number.  There was a mistake with porting the number through the online application.  So I wanted to check if it was done correctly.  I have been waiting on the phone for over an hour.  I talked to one representative after the first 30 minutes who said that the incorrect number was transferred.  She needed to transfer me to another department to help me , but I've been on hold for more than another 30 minutes.  This is ridiculous.  Apparently the number that was automatically given with the new phone and plan was just transferred back to the phone.   I don't understand how the first representative was able to tell me the wrong number was transferred, but was unable to help me correct the problem.

This is very frustrating.  I was trying to get her away from one terrible customer service experience, but it looks like we found another.  Verizon really needs to straighten this out.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Customer Service Wait Time for Transferring Number
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Go to www.vzw.com/port

Put in the number you are trying to port. It will tell you what you need. Best thing....available 24/7 no queues.

jigncsu1984
Enthusiast - Level 1

Www.vzw.com/port was actually the first thing I did.  However, something didn't seem right when I tried to complete the port.  I used the IMEI number from her phone as the directions suggested.

I tried to verify if the port was completed correctly by calling customer service.  I waited for over 30 minutes the first time I spoke to representative.  She told me she would transfer me to the porting center, but she didn't.  I waited almost another hour before finding out I was transferred to a sales rep.  After complaining about it,  he transferred me directly to the porting center almost instantainously.

When I was finally able to talk to someone who knew something, she went directly to straight talk to find out what happened.  Apparently I was supposed to use the SIM CARD number.  The porting directions seriously needs to be updated and so does the customer service directory and wait time.  I should have been able to talk to the right person the first time.

When I finished looking at the amount of time I was on the phone it was 1 hour and 27 minutes.  Once I talked to someone it only took 10 minutes to fix the problem even with them transferring back to straight talk and getting the SIM card number from me and then going back to correctly port the number.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well who is the one who typed in the number?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

First of all you don't port a SIM card number. It's the cell number.

0 Likes
jigncsu1984
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, the porting process required an account number for the phone.  Since the phone was through straighttalk, there was no account number on the phone.  So the directions said this number may be the IMEI number.  So I used that number along with the cell phone number I wanted transferred to my mom's new phone.  According to the directions, the IMEI number was supposed to be the account number associated with my mom's old phone and the cell phone number.

Something didn't seem right because at the end it didn't list her old number as the one being transferred to the new phone, but really just same number they assigned to that phone.  So when the Verizon rep called Straighttalk, they told her that the porting process was rejected, because the Sim Card number should have been entered as the account number.  Although the directions never said that.

Thankfully by the end, the Verizon rep was able to contact straight-talk and correctly set up the port, before her old plan was renewed at midnight.  She would have had to pay for another month of service if we had not got it done in time.

0 Likes