Data Requirement
charlie1

I have never had any problems with Verizon until now! It was time for my husband to upgrade and he found a phone that he liked, so we went to Verizon and found out that the phone he wanted couldn' t be purchased without a data package for 9.99 or higher. We asked what phones they had that didn't need that and they only had 4 phones. They were the really cheap ones. We are not be given a choice and that isn't right to the people that don't want or use the data package. Come on wake up Verizon! Its hard enough on people now a days. This is just making it harder for them. All you have to do is block the web for the people that don't want it. Its that flipping simple.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
data requirement is a BAD idea
miamouse25

I had the same problem!!! I was so excited to upgrade my phone a few days ago until I was told unless I wanted to purchase a data plan I had the choice from 4 poor quality phones. I don't need nor do I use the internet or email on my phone. I don't understand why we are being forced to purchase a plan if we do not need it! Now, my family and I are looking for a new service provider. I am not upgrading my phone either. Hopefully Verizon will realize this is turning more people away.

0 Likes
Re: Data Requirement
sonya

I had the same problem, we have been with Verizon at least 10 years and we have 5 lines, all with unlimited texting and a substantial number of minutes per month. We have been happy with Verizon because of the customer service, large selection of phones, and the optional features available on the phones however we a shopping for a new cell provider because Verizon has chosen to limit us to 4 crappy phones. I would like to know who made this executive decision for me. I want Verizon to understand the impact this will have on their business because when I change cell providers, my teenage children will change and when they start paying for their own bill, they will probably be with whatever carrier they start with. 

0 Likes
charlie1

I just looked on the Verizon website at the 3G multimedia phones and seen they have three of them that the 9.99 or higher data package is optional with them. If it is optional with those three multimedia phones then make it optional for all the multimedia phones. Like I said before just block the web for  the people that don't want it. I know I don't want it and neither does my husband or children. That is why we have computers at home!

0 Likes
savagehenry
Enthusiast - Level 2

charlie1 wrote:

I just looked on the Verizon website at the 3G multimedia phones and seen they have three of them that the 9.99 or higher data package is optional with them. If it is optional with those three multimedia phones then make it optional for all the multimedia phones. Like I said before just block the web for  the people that don't want it. I know I don't want it and neither does my husband or children. That is why we have computers at home!

hey nice catch.  This is the first i have seen in the 3G multimedia lineup where the data plan is optional.

0 Likes
Re: data requirement is a BAD idea
wwfd281

I too have a Family Share Plan with 5 phones on it. We presently do not have and do not want any DATA Packages. But now Verizon is FORCING their customers to pay for a service that we don't want if we think about upgrading any of our 5 phones on our plan. Why does Verizon want to treat their customers this way. They've been great up until this issue, which is VERY costly. It would'nt be bad if it was a single reasonable fee for the entire plan but to charge per phone is outrageous. It would Double my monthly costs to stay with Verizon. I've been a LONG time Customer with the same # since 1987, but this will definitely make me look around for other carriers/ cell company's service costs for the future...VERY UNHAPPY!!!!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Re: the data plan being optional now on some ...

At least it's optional on the Rival and Entice, which is a move in the right direction. (Both Motorolas ... hmmmm.)

But I cannot understand why it's required on the 8360 flip phone ... not that I'd even consider that phone, but I wonder what the rationale is there. ???

0 Likes
ham10814
Enthusiast - Level 2

NON-data Plan phones are crap!!!   Verizon is FORCING our hand to pay for something we don't want on a QUALITY phone.  Quit shoving the data plan down our throat.  CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????!!!!!!!!

0 Likes