Re: Data plans and Data usage
Weth
Legend

You need to really do a lot of comparison or do the exact same things as a comparison.

The difference in cost $10/GB for Straighttalk vs $4.58/GB for Verizon must also come into consideration. Interestingly you get a little more than twice the GB for the same cost comparing Verizon with Straightalk.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well suggestions and questions were offered, didn't seem like you wanted to follow through. And a data card is going to translate data differently than a cell phone will. So out of the three things you said could be the problem, Verizon ain't one.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is nonsense. I have been using my Verizon notepad as my hotspot and it is actually showing slightly more use per minute than my Smartphone. Every answer you folks provide is in direct conflict with my results. I don't know what suggestions you seem to think I am not following up on. I have looked at every possible way of analyzing my usage. I have tried different devices and get the same results. And yes Verizon Data is cheaper with their plans. But since you brought it up why does Verizon data cost $4 per GB if I have a 24 GB plan and Double that with a smaller plan or $15 per GB if I go over, DATA is DATA. it requires the same technology regardless how much we use. I'm done with this. All I know is in June my usage went up by at least 1/3 and I did not do anything different.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Just from reading your previous post, which I took for law, was that it was to be your last post on the subject, which apparently it wasnt. So now I'm trying to figure out if this is something you just want to argue over, or if you want genuine help. Which; in all due respect was offered.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unless you are Verizon support I am not sure why you care but just to satisfy your obvious curiosity here is why.

Exactly what help was offered. I have done everything suggested and no answers are forthcoming I do want to argue over this because there are no answers from Verizon, No answers to my complaints or the dozens of others I have read about this same topic. If you think this is reasonable explain this to me. And yes I have looked at my DATA usage on my Phone as well. ALL the DATA use is for Tethering because I do NOT use my Phone to surf the internet. There is NO App DATA use showing on my Phone or my Notepad except tethering. It is set to not use apps in the background.

Logged data use from Verizon on my account for my Hotspot.

08.30.2016     2:42 PM     265.77

08.30.2016     8:42 AM     548.54

08.30.2016     8:42 AM     0.06

08.30.2016     8:37 AM     0.26

08.29.2016     9:30 PM     78.33

08.29.2016     3:30 PM     462.67

08.29.2016     3:30 PM     0.03

08.29.2016     3:30 PM     0.13

08.29.2016     3:30 PM     0.05

08.29.2016     3:29 PM     0.12

08.29.2016     3:29 PM     0.10

08.29.2016     3:29 PM     0.02

08.29.2016     3:25 PM     0.26

08.29.2016     9:32 AM     220.49

08.24.2016     8:08 AM     0.42

My note pad was turned off from the 24th to the 29th when I turned it on at 9:35 am so there was 0 data use for 5 days prior to 8/29. As you can see it logged data up to 8:42 AM on the 30th. During that period of time I was online several times from 9:35 AM until 10:25 PM on the 29th when I turned off my Notepad with a total of 214 minutes of use plus my wife logged on through the Hotspot on her I pad for 15 minutes for a total of 229 minutes of internet use. There were no other devices on line during that time. The devices were not turned on overnight ALL of the Data use showing on my Notepad was Tethering.

I used 1311 MB of data during that period. 1311/229=5.72 MB per minute. That would be reasonable if I was playing games or watching a lot of video. But I was not. It was Facebook and websites doing general searches for different topics. Mostly political.

I'd like to see an explanation why it shows 220.49 MB of data use at 9.32 AM on the 29th when my Phone and Notepad were both turned off prior to that for 5 days. I turned on my Notepad hotspot at 9:35 AM the morning of the 29th.

Since the Notepad and my Phone were turned off during the previous 5 days when I was using another carrier for comparison these figure are accurate and represent actual data use during a specific period of time.  At this rate I would use well over 30 GB per month with just 2 1/2 hours of internet use.  I get the same results using my Samsung S4. Actually the Notepad seems a bit higher than the Smartphone.

I don't know what else I can provide as proof of excessive Data usage. And it does not matter which Verizon device I use for the Hotspot or which PC or Laptop, or I Pad or Jetpak I use. The results are the same.

Since it is clear there will be no answer that will satisfy me I agree, I should not continue this debate. I have discussed this with some friends at my church. Several have left Verizon for this same reason. I would but quite frankly I doubt I can find anything better where I live. I'm stuck with it. That does not mean I have to be happy about it.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Regarding your question on 9:32 220.49 MB data use on 8/29

This does not indicate 220.49 MB of data used at or prior to 9:32.

What it indicates is a data session was started at 9:32 AM on 8/29 and between 9:32 AM and 3:25 PM 220.49 MB of data was used.

Based on your numbers

Between 8/24 8:08 AM and 8/29 9:32 AM you used 0.42 MB

Between 8/29 9:32 AM and 8/29 3:25 PM you used 220.49 MB

Another thing I have done in the past is look at the PC to see how its counters match what I am using on the PC and it is usually very close. I have T-Mobile hotspot and use Verizon hotspot on phone with a PC and I do not see any significant difference in how data is counted and the counters all match fairly close.

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

Check the WI-FI settings on the tablet to see if the connection can be set to a metered connection.  The following example is from a Windows 10 device.

metered.png

0 Likes
ar9090

Ok I know my family is being scammed by Verizon. We have a 15g plan and since January have had data overage on our bill from anywhere between 15 and 90 dollars. The thing that is perplexing is that my son, my daughter and I have had cellular data and wifi assistant in settings turned off since we got our phones. We still see data usage even though we are not hitting any cell towers or there mtso with data pulls. I was on the phone 3 and a half hours Saturday (hung up on twice and transferred more that 5 times to departments I had not requested) and still not gotten any definitive answer on how this is happening. All I know if the millions of customers are getting charged like we are it is very troubling. They could be billing millions of dollars erroneously and reaping the rewards. Needless to say we are going to depart after 8 years. The customer service in the company is horrific at best!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

ar9090 wrote:

Ok I know my family is being scammed by Verizon. We have a 15g plan and since January have had data overage on our bill from anywhere between 15 and 90 dollars. The thing that is perplexing is that my son, my daughter and I have had cellular data and wifi assistant in settings turned off since we got our phones. We still see data usage even though we are not hitting any cell towers or there mtso with data pulls.

All I know if the millions of customers are getting charged like we are it is very troubling. They could be billing millions of dollars erroneously and reaping the rewards. Needless to say we are going to depart after 8 years. The customer service in the company is horrific at best!

I have the same 15 GB data allowance with 5 lines(2 iPhones, 2 androids, 1 smartwatch) and have not once received a data overage. I also manage a plan for my inlaws with 2 lines(1 iPhone 6S and 1 basic phone) and 2 GB of data which has not once received a data overage. Of course I set up all of the phones to not use data excessively. If there are data spikes, I look at the apps on the devices and their settings before jumping to blame Verizon. If they are scamming people, they are doing it in a very selective manner.

0 Likes
ar9090

These are not juveniles we are talking about. They are young adult professionals and I work in the industry. Set the caps on apps all you want. We have our devices set never to use data resources.

0 Likes