Re: Data plans and Data usage
rcschnoor
Legend

ar9090 wrote:

These are not juveniles we are talking about. They are young adult professionals and I work in the industry. Set the caps on apps all you want. We have our devices set never to use data resources.

And yet you get overages and we don't. Go figure.

The people on my plan are not "juveniles" either. There are no data caps set on any of the lines. We simply stay under our monthly allowance. Of course, the 2 people on my account who are young adults never had overages when they were "juveniles", either.

I don't set "caps on apps". I check the settings so items don't auto download unless on wifi or manually downloaded. Items don't backup unless on wifi or manually backed up. I play music stored on the phone, no streaming. I watch videos stored on the phone, no streaming. Of course, towards the end of the month when I have several GB of data allowance still available, I will stream several hours of WatchESPN or the Golf Channel to get close to my data allowance.

Of course, you can go right ahead and continue with your overages instead of taking precautions to prevent them, doesn't matter to me. It's funny, though, how the people who take precautions are normally not the ones complaining about overages but instead are the ones who seem to wave off such precautions and go directly to blaming Verizon. Not to mention that many of the people who can't seem to keep from getting overages always seem to "work in the industry".

pherson
Champion - Level 1

My guess is, if they "worked in the industry " there wouldn't be an issue to begin with. I agree with you.

Weth
Legend

ar9090 wrote:

have had cellular data and wifi assistant in settings turned off since we got our phones. We still see data usage even though we are not hitting any cell towers or there mtso with data pulls.

You didn't say the first and most basic question one should give with these data use complaints - which app or system service does the phone say is using data? I find it not plausible you have cellular data turned off all the time and you get data use.

Which apps does the phone report is using data. Does the phone's data use match Verizon's (or close), what do you mean cellular data off - all the time, only once in a while? I have worked with many cell phones, and when the cellular data is off, there is no data use.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The straight line on my data usage screen for the time period over the Labor Day weekend can attest this as an example if the data is off there won't be any usage.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would really like to know exactly how Verizon measures and reports our Data usage. In your reply above you say Verizon is showing a time and the data used at that time is from that time until the next posted time. So measured forward. OK I get it. Here is what I have today. At 6.57 PM on 06/09 It posts 34.09 MB. At 6.57 AM on 06/10 it shows 213.18. No entries after that. So it is saying from 6.57 AM on I used 213.18 MB but to when? If it is measuring forward as you say. It is also saying I only used 34.09 MB from 6.56 PM until 6.57 AM. I find that very interesting since after 7 PM I was on the internet for 36 minutes , FB and a couple Utube videos. O.94 MB per minute? really? I would be extremely happy to only use 0.94 MB per minute

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The next period has started but hasn't closed yet so the next period is not reported yet.

For example, since I just started a new billing period, all my lines have a 12:00 or 12:01 entry inducting start of measuring time after midnight on a new billing period.

09.10.20161:45 PM2,049.0
09.10.20167:45 AM83,230.0
09.10.20161:46 AM30.0
09.10.201612:00 AM0.7

So between 7:45 A and 1:45 P I used 83,230 KB which matches my activity out of the house today.  Between 1:45 and a time that will be known soon I used 2,000 KB.  The time will show when the next period starts.  After testing this is the only thing that makes sense with usage. 

0 Likes
robinson007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again I understand what you are saying. So, why did it only show my usage as 34 MB for 36 minutes during the period 6:57 PM to 6:56 AM. I was on FB and watched a couple Utube videos between 7:15 PM and 8:30 PM. That's less than 1 MB per minute. Through all of July and August Verizon reported my usage as about 4 MB per minute or more, which is excessive. Something just does not make sense.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Likely explanations:

1) The video you watched was streamed at SD quality. 4-9Mbps is usually what I see with HD YouTube and 0.5 to 1 Mbps for SD.

2) There was delay in reporting a towers data. 

There red is a way to force YouTube to always stream SD. On the app you can set it to stream HD only when on wifi.

0 Likes