Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data rip off
Hanka
Member

There's absolutely NO reason why I should be using data on an iPhone XR when I'm in a Wi-Fi environment and with Wi-Fi Assist off.  And even at 4 and 5AM in the morning.  There's something going on that's a dirty little secret. Verizon is scamming everyone not on an unlimited plan.

Re: Data rip off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thanks for visiting our community member forum today, Hanka. We know it's always important to have an understanding of how your usage is reported. We'll be happy to help out in any way we can. If you see data connectivity overnight, this would be because our system parses data every 6 hours automatically. It does not mean that you manually used any data. However, it does mean that your phone's WiFi connection went dormant for some time. iPhones don't have WiFi dormancy settings, so you'll want to check to see if your router does. If not, your best bet is going to be to just turn off your cellular data overnight. Your connection may go dormant, but that way you won't show any overnight usage being metered. During the times data is metered when you're not actually using your device, you'll just see background data, so this should be negligible data usage amounts. I hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions about how this works. EricW_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Data rip off
Hanka
Member

The data usage is not negligible but substantial.  Enough to make me run out of data 2 weeks into my monthly paln.  And why should I have to go to the trouble of turning off cellular data every night before going to bed. I'm seriously looking into a Sprint unlimited plan now, I'll let them buy my phones and pay off an early termination fee.  That's how angry I am right now with Verizon!!  

Re: Data rip off
boringusername
Sr. Member

@Hanka wrote:

There's absolutely NO reason why I should be using data on an iPhone XR when I'm in a Wi-Fi environment and with Wi-Fi Assist off.  And even at 4 and 5AM in the morning.  There's something going on that's a dirty little secret. Verizon is scamming everyone not on an unlimited plan.


Verizon is not adding data and iphones have been nortorious for years for turining wi-fi off. As soon as you set your phone down and and the screen goes blank iphones shut off wi-fi automatically and have for years. If you think Veiron is being shady then leave. it's that simple. 

Re: Data rip off
Hanka
Member

If that is true, then Verizon is complicit in the scam by taking customer's money based on a bug that's built into Apple's iPhones.  That's as underhanded as it gets.  And I will be leaving Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Data rip off
boringusername
Sr. Member

@Hanka wrote:

If that is true, then Verizon is complicit in the scam by taking customer's money based on a bug that's built into Apple's iPhones.  That's as underhanded as it gets.  And I will be leaving Verizon.


No they are not. And the issue with your iPhone will exist on any carrier. epalin hw Verizon is suppsoed to know if you turned off wi-fi on your own for if the iPhone did it itself? I've never had this issue on Android and neither has anyone on our plan. And we have had Android smartphones are years. Verizon is not ripping your off and adding data. Get over it

0 Likes
Re: Data rip off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are sorry to read that you are having issues with data usage on your device and we would hate to see you go. We would like to help. Does the device have any issues staying connected to Wi-Fi?

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Data rip off
Hanka
Member

None whatsoever.  I’ve been told that data is used regardless of a strong wi-fi signal.  I’m in a mesh system with 200mbs via Spectrum and a Verizon Fios account in my other home.  

I now have to resort to turning off my cellular data unles I need it. I am currently looking into a buy-out from Sprint.  I can’t afford your unlimited plan.

Re: Data rip off
boringusername
Sr. Member

@Hanka wrote:

None whatsoever.  I’ve been told that data is used regardless of a strong wi-fi signal.  I’m in a mesh system with 200mbs via Spectrum and a Verizon Fios account in my other home.  

I now have to resort to turning off my cellular data unles I need it. I am currently looking into a buy-out from Sprint.  I can’t afford your unlimited plan.


The price of service has nothing to do with your issue and your issue will continue to exist at Sprint. Good luck at the worst carrier in the US

0 Likes
Re: Data rip off
freddurst321
Member

I have the same issue on three iphone XRs on my plan. We have resorted to turning off cellular data at night while we sleep. I'm not sure this is a Verizon issue per se but maybe a iphone spying issue. Either way, it is very annoying to see chunks of data as large as 70MB used when the phone is not in use and all the settings such as Wi-fi assist, back ground app refresh etc. are correct.