Death of account holder, how to retitle account in my own name
ELS15a

My husband passed away suddenly in May.  I have called Verizon Wireless numerous times to find out how to RETITLE the account in my own name and have been given CONFLICTING INSTRUCTIONS.

Method 1.  Live Chat 5/31.  Rep tried to transfer a single line to a new account for which no new # has been assigned!  (I ignored this advice because I have two additional devices I want to maintain service for.)  Since then, I’ve received e-mail reminders daily to “complete the transfer”.  In somewhat of an improvement, I now get these reminders for all 3 lines... but since I don't have a new account # established yet, I'm unwilling to "complete" these requests.

Method 2. On 5/31, after the Live Chat resulted in the offer to transfer just one of my three devices, I called the 800 # back and was told to go to my nearest VZ Wireless “corporate office”.  This was useless: that office was closed (Covid), and besides, calling that store just kicked my call back to the 800 #.  Although this office did reopen 6/1, because I am social distancing (I am a senior citizen with an autoimmune disease), I DON'T want to be forced to go there… PLUS there’s no way to schedule an appointment online for account retitling (the service drop list options are more about repairing your devices &  purchasing new devices).

Method 3. On 6/6, when I again tried calling the local store, my call transferred to SALES at the 800 #, where the rep transferred me to C.S.  The C.S. rep provided me with an email address to which I sent an e-mail, attaching death cert and pic of of my photo ID.  I have received no response or even an acknowledgement that my email was received. 

I have been devastated by my husband's death and the many tasks I need to get done... and now I'm feeling worn down by Verizon Wireless (and several other critical providers, as well!) by its lack of clear and credible instructions on how to retitle my husband's account in my name. The joke here: I know retitling is legally required, and here I am---pounding my head against a wall trying to do the right thing.  If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

0 Likes
Re: Death of account holder, how to retitle account in my own name
ELS15a

Someone responded to me by so-called "Private Mail" = total disaster!  Provided an FAQ that's USELESS because (1) it asks me to initiate an account transfer by impersonating my dead husband (that's not legal, per my estate attorney), and (2) still doesn't explain how one transfers THREE devices simultaneously to a SINGLE new account number, and (3) used an email to send this [useless] Private Message to which I couldn't respond (I got a server error = undeliverable that was in another language, no less---looks maybe Japanese).  

Verizon Wireless is NOT meeting its obligations to bereaved widows who are trying to do things properly and legally: it needs a SEPARATE and LEGAL process for them.  Instead it's trying to "shoehorn" into a generic transfer process used for other purposes, e.g., your kid graduating from college and finally getting a job.  

At one point I was told to email my request to [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service].

...which I did, weeks ago, but I haven't heard from it.  

CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE USEFUL HELP?  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Death of account holder, how to retitle account in my own name
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, ELS15a. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband. I know this is a challenging time, so we're here to help. I'm troubled to learn you've been given conflicting information and want to investigate further. Please check your private messages to continue.

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon...
ELS15a

I have NO IDEA what a "private message" is, or where to find it. Will it come to my dead husband's phone?  I looked on the website but could find NOTHING about how or where to access.

0 Likes
ELS15a

I located Private Messages BUT I still don't see a procedure that will work for my situation. Please read the facts describing my situation again!  The FAQ you keep sending is utterly inappropriate.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ELS15a, I want to make sure that we get this fixed for you once and for all. You can send us a Private Message on Facebook or Twitter by going to the top of our profile. Once you're there, below our profile picture, there will be an icon that says "Message". 

Also,on our Facebook page or send us a DM to @VZWSupport on Twitter, so we can further assist you.

We look forward to getting this s it nation handled. 

VeronicaM_VZW

0 Likes
ELS15a

That you directed me to Facebook and Twitter is absolutely appalling.  First, I shun both because I have no interest in broadcasting my private life to the world.  Second, that a company the size of Verizon Wireless lacks a seamless process for widows to take over the "family account" is cruel and senseless.  I've spent more hours on Verizon Wireless than on any other estate task... and as of this morning, I am STILL STUCK.    

1. In my email Inbox, I have a request to transfer all 3 of my lines.  However, according to the FAQ's, I shouldn't "complete the transfer" until I have a new account established.  
  2. BUT I still haven't been told how to create this new account!  In a new twist, last week I was given the phone # of the Transfer Your Service department. When I called it this morning, I expected a LIVE PERSON to answer.  Instead I got a VOICE RECORDING directing me to enter "the" number I was trying to transfer... yet MY PROBLEM ALL ALONG is I have THREE numbers, not one... PLUS lacking an overview of what's supposed to happen during this call, I can't tell how and when my new account will be created.  Before I call again, I need an overview of what will happen during & after the call, what info to have handy, how I'll be able to switch all 3 numbers, etc. 
0 Likes