Device Not Returned Free and Stay Connected Program
BabyLaska
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am incredibly frustrated with Verizon's customer service. I have been trying to resolve an issue for months now and every time I connect with a representative at Verizon, it seems I'm back to square one.  From my experience, Verizon's various departments (billing, finance, returns, customer care, etc..) do not have a system of effectively communicating with each other.    

Earlier this year, my phone stopped working. As far as I know, I did not do anything to damage the phone (I didn’t drop it, get the device wet, etc..). Verizon agreed to send me a refurbished phone providing I return the unusable device. 

The device got lost or misplaced by UPS and Verizon changed me about $400 as a “device not returned fee.” I talked to a representative and confirmed that I did indeed mail the device back and provided the tracking information from UPS. I also spoke with UPS and they also confirmed that the device could not be found. Verizon said they would connect with UPS to confirm this information and remove the charge from my bill.  

While the issue was being resolved, one of the (many) reps I worked with enrolled me in the “Stay Connected Plan” which was created for people experiencing financial hardships due to COVID. This was not the case for me but the representative assured me that I needed to be enrolled so Verizon would not disconnect my phone line. FYI, I paid my regular bill but refused to pay the $400 “device not returned fee.” 

I did not want to be enrolled in this program to begin with and have tried multiple times to be removed from it. It also looks like I”m still being charged the $400 but the fee has been deferred due to the plan.

Every time connect with someone at Verizon I have to re-explain the situation. In other attempts, I haven’t been able to connect with a real person. For example, one day I decided to give the online chat feature a go but the representative couldn’t help me. He told me to call Customer Care instead. I tried 611 (Customer Care) but kept getting cycled through the automated service. This went on for probably about an hour before I gave up. 

I just want my plan to go back to normal and to make sure I’m not being charged 400 dollars for a phone that I did not lose. By the way, the “trade-in value” of the phone is estimated to be $80 by Verizon. What a scam. I have literally spent HOURS trying to resolve this issue and am frustrated to a breaking point. I would love to completely cancel my account and go with a different service provided. Additionally, I feel like I should be compensated for all of the wasted time and energy spent on this case.

Despite being a multi-billion dollar company, Verizon doesn’t provide adequate support for its customers. What a disgrace. 

FYI I was just put on hold with customer care for about 40 minutes. I eventually got to a  representative who was both kind and helpful. She seems to have cleared up the issue but I need to wait for the next billing cycle to make sure everything has been adjusted correctly. Fingers crossed it works this time.

Re: Device Not Returned Free and Stay Connected Program
rchlkay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Going through something similar with the deferred payment program!! I didn’t ask to be enrolled but no one wants to remove the charges from my account when I shouldn’t owe them in the first place. I never stopped paying my bill in full to begin with!!! Now they won’t remove the charge. How is this right?

0 Likes
BabyLaska
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not... Verizon is criminal. I'm about to call again because they have still not taken me off the deferred payment plan. They need to be sued.  

0 Likes
BabyLaska
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: It has now been 3 weeks since I last worked with the representative in my original posting. Nothing had changed. I am still on the deferment program. I am about to call yet again... 

If you work at Verizon and are reading this, please respond to me. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rchlkay, 

We understand this is frustrating for you. We want to make sure we understand what is going on. If you were enrolled in our Stay Connected program, there are no additional charges to your account. If you paid regularly and you do not want to be in the program, we can fix this. Your online bill may reflect a different balance, but your account balance will be normal. I assure you there are no extra charges. 

Have you contacted us to let us know you want out of the program? 

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Just so you understand what you’re in for. If you ship some thing and it gets lost in the mail Verizon is not going to take the hit on it. even if you have proof you mailed it.  
You can try but in all likelihood since you were the shipper, you are going to be on the hook for the $400 charge.
This is why I do not use any program that has me return/mail my phone unless I can use insurance. I have shipped the phone in the past and it got lost and I was out $500..  

Sorry it happened to you.   Keep your fingers crossed that it will eventually turn up. I have had things get lost for up to six weeks in the past six months.  Pandemic foul ups.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Babylaska, three weeks is definitely too long to have an unresolved issue. What exactly is going on with your account? Please share the details. 

0 Likes