Do I really lose my upgrade eligibility if I return the phone I upgrade to?
hoodedponcho

Last September I was eligible for an upgrade discount at the end of my two year contract, and I used it to upgrade to the new iPhone. However, after a day of use I knew the iPhone was not for me (turns out I really like Android). I returned the phone promptly, went back to using my old phone, and all that went fine.

The problem now is that my upgrade eligibility did not reset, as I thought it would when I returned the iPhone. Even though, for all intents and purposes, I did not upgrade, my eligible date is now based on the iPhone purchase date (which, again, I returned the next day). Does this sound like the right policy: You lose your upgrade eligibility if you return your upgrade phone?

That doesn't make any sense to me, nor is it mentioned in Verizon's return policy: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/return-policy.

Any thoughts or help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Do I really lose my upgrade eligibility if I return the phone I upgrade to?
Spiral
Master - Level 1

You need to call customer service (*611) and have them reset your upgrade/contract date.  All to often this falls through the cracks and does not get reset properly unless the customer is proactive and requests/insists it be done.

Please be polite, but be firm that your upgrade needs to be reset to the previous dates.

Good luck.

hoodedponcho

I'll give it a go and let you know Smiley Happy

0 Likes
kobra_kai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon's return policy is 14 days. So assuming you are telling the truth about going back just a day later then it should have also reset your upgrade eligibility and is an error. Call customer service and tell them to look at your purchase and return dates and they should be able to fix it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Hoodedponcho,

Good afternoon. I understand the importance of being able to purchase a new device when needed. Especially if you recently returned a device that did not meet your needs from the prior upgrade. If you purchased the previous device and returned it within the 14 day worry free guarantee time frame, your upgrade date and contract end date should have also been reversed. If this did not happen, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1800-922-0204. Should you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us. We will be more than happy to further assist.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes