Does Switching Devices Require Payoff of Current Phone
BobT3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am about to order a no-contract iPhone 14 directly from Apple. It will be fully paid for when I receive it. I currently have an iPhone 13 that is financed on a contract with Verizon and is receiving a trade-in credit each month.

I would like keep the iPhone 13, but I want to use the new iPhone 14 on this line. Since the iPhone 14 uses an eSIM only, I cannot just switch out the SIM card from my iPhone 13.

I spoke with a Verizon rep this morning and explained what I wanted to do and that nothing on the account would change except that the line would have a different phone on it and I would still own the iPhone 13. The Verizon rep told me that since the iPhone 13 would not be active on the account it would require an early pay-off. She said the only other option would be to put the new phone on a new line of service and keep both phone active with Verizon.

It looks like I am stuck because of the eSIM issue on the new iPhones. Is my only realistic option to switch to a new phone carrier and get a new customer deal?  Would a Verizon rep like to address this issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Switching Devices Require Payoff of Current Phone
BobT3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Jacob.  I appreciate your quick response in resolving this issue for me in private chat.  

For the benefit of others who may run into the same thing,  here is the information he provided.

"As long as you are buying the phone without a device payment agreement from Apple, you would not lose the $xx.xx trade in promotion you are receiving on your line. You just can't cancel the line or upgrade until the device payment agreement ends. Does this provide clarity? -Jacob"

"Set up and activate your eSIM https://www.verizon.com/support/esim-activation-instructions/ If you run into any issues, you can always reach out to us , so we can help you. Does this information provide clarity? -Jacob"

‎1:39 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BobT3, good afternoon. The last thing we would ever want is for you to leave us. As an iPhone lover, I know how vital it is to have the latest iPhone. We would love the opportunity to help you. Do you currently have a promotion on the line with the iPhone 13 or just making payments for the phone? 

-Jacob

0 Likes
BobT3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think there is a promotion deal on this account.  I wanted to keep the iPhone 13 and leave everything like it is except for switching to a different phone on the line.  The complication is that the iPhone 14 does not have a physical SIM.

0 Likes
BobT3
Enthusiast - Level 3

No new promotional deals, but the iPhone 13 is receiving a Verizon trade-in credit each month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BobT3, thank you for the details you shared. I sent you a Private Note. Please reply at your earliest convenience.

-Jacob

0 Likes
BobT3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Jacob.  I appreciate your quick response in resolving this issue for me in private chat.  

For the benefit of others who may run into the same thing,  here is the information he provided.

"As long as you are buying the phone without a device payment agreement from Apple, you would not lose the $xx.xx trade in promotion you are receiving on your line. You just can't cancel the line or upgrade until the device payment agreement ends. Does this provide clarity? -Jacob"

"Set up and activate your eSIM https://www.verizon.com/support/esim-activation-instructions/ If you run into any issues, you can always reach out to us , so we can help you. Does this information provide clarity? -Jacob"

‎1:39 PM

0 Likes