Re: Does the Note 4 have better signal strength than the Note 3?
dfelker
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am running 4.4.4.  I can't revert to earlier software, I have checked into this too.  Yes I have reflashed the software at Best Buy and have done a factory reset.  Not sure what the phone came with new, it will be a year old in June.  I want to say I did one major upgrade and one or more minor ones. 

0 Likes
dfelker
Enthusiast - Level 2

It can't be looked at as just wanting a Note 4, they are the ones that told me they don't have a solution for poor signal strength on the Note 3.  I explained I am happy with the Note 3 but it needs to work and they evidently can't make that happen by their own admission.  The reason they offer an S5 is it either has a better antenna or wasn't affected by software upgrades.  Their issues shouldn't turn into my problems.  I simply want a working phone that doesn't drop 10% of my calls.  I offered to pay for a Note 4, provided it wouldn't have the same issues, but only if it were offered at a discounted price instead of full price.  They rejected any offer I made as they want to strip me of the unlimited data, that is first and foremost for Verizon.

FYI, I called Samsung repair and they dispute the fact there is any software issue with the Note 3.  They also know nothing about any authorization to swap the Note 3 with an S5.  I didn't expect that a repair center would necessarily have first hand knowledge of a swap but did expect they would know if Note 3's are being sent in at higher rates for the same reason as mine.  Samsung did say it is possible the phone has a hardware failure but they are confident if that is the case they will find it.  I was after a Note 4 because it supposedly has a better antenna which Samsung will not confirm or deny.  The only changes they will confirm are the advertised ones.  If parts are replaced in the phone they won't tell which ones they replaced but will say parts were replaced according to the rep I spoke with.

I am only looking for plan B if Samsung can't find and fix the phone.  A dysfunctional phone is not an option going forward.

mama23dogs
Legend

pherson

i didn't use the S pen much at first either.  Then I added My Stylus Beta app on the phone.  I write all my texts and email, calendar entries, everything.  So much easier that hunt and peck.  I keep meaning to take a class as I also have Note tablets.

You mention you had the Note 2 also.  I did see posts from Note 2 users who were unhappy with the Note 3 call quality.  I can't help but wonder if it's partly a hardware problem that was fixed in the Note 4.

dfelker

I think trying a replacement might be worth a try.  I'd like to know how it turns out.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Idk.....I really have not had a dropped call on this thing. I can get a signal anywhere. It's better than the 2 in my opinion. I just wish I got the white one again instead of black. Lol

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I have no drops either, but I live in a populated New England area.

I bought white, All my girly gadgets are white... 

0 Likes
dfelker
Enthusiast - Level 2

The replacement failed.  Jury is still out on Samsung repairing my current phone.  Sounds like the package will arrive on Tuesday and it may be an additional 4 days before they look at it.  I can roughly track the progress on Samsung's website and am quite anxious to see if they find bad components.  Regardless of what they find or what the Nebraska Public Service Commission is able to do I will ditch this phone if it doesn't work.  Best case for me will be Samsung finds something wrong, fixes it and the the phone returns to a good working status.  In a perfect world I would never have to call Verizon Customer (no)Service again!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Smiley Sad

0 Likes
note3improvement
Enthusiast - Level 3

My signal improved greatly with the Lollipop update.

I was on 4.4.2 and signal performance was so bad I was about to dump the Note 3. Lollipop saved the day.

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I am finally finding documentation online regarding the differences between the Samsung galaxy note 5 frequency capabilities versus the iPhone 6 Plus capabilities. There are gaping holes in the frequency capabilities of the note 5 -   Unless this was all fixed with a software update and that was not documented information either. I knew I wasn't crazy. That said, I still want the note 5 to be just as good a phone as the competition  - as a phone And I do not think that's too much to ask.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

colfrmb2.  If you are referring to the LTE bands, the bands on the Verizon Note 5 are the only ones needed to work on Verizon. 

The iPhone 6 has LTE bands for other NON Verizon networks. 

IF you compare what you call "holes" to Verizons network requirements you will find they are also useless on Verizon.

0 Likes