Early Termination Fee?
cliffburton19621986

I know that this probably isn't going to get me anywhere, so I figured I'd ask before I get Customer Service involved (because that helps soooo much...not), anyway I have until the end of September on my current contract and I'm currently on a plan with my grandparents. In a few weeks, I'm moving almost 200 miles away to college, nevertheless into a completely different area code, making any issues regarding my phone impossible to deal with without my grandfather (the account holder) present like he's had to be for the past year and a half. I've had so many issues with Verizon that I'm trying to switch to AT&T, also because their coverage is way better than Verizon's in the area that I will be moving to. I really can't think of any other way to deal with this issue, and I know that it very well will be an issue, seeing as how I've been through 6 different phones on this one contract because of manufacturer's errors and once I move, I'm screwed if another issue arises (which it always seems to do). By the way, I'm only 17, so I cannot become a manager on this account either. I've already tried that. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Early Termination Fee?
B33
Legend

When do you turn 18.?  Have you asked your Grandpa if he would add you to the account if that's allowed, i'm on my mom's account so i can pretty much do as i wish she added me for if there was ever that time i needed to take over.. putting you on the account and if you have the account password you could pay a bill once in a while for your grandpa using Verizon's payment kiosk i do this for my mom..

But if your wanting to move to another company and your old enough to qualify at the time you sign up i wouldn't see why you encounter any issues from them as i would think they would want Student's that are miles from home to certainly be able to keep in touch with your Love one's..

I did check the Age Limit's Both At&t and Verizon Require that and Account Holder Must be the Age of 18.. 

0 Likes
cliffburton19621986

I don't turn 18 until November, and we've tried putting me in control of the account, but the associate at one of our stores said that it wasn't allowed, because I'm not old enough. And one of the reasons I want to switch is the horrible service around my school. It's not because they denied me the ability to control my own phone on the contract. I can't go 10 minutes outside of town and not be in a dead zone. Most of my commute area is a Verizon dead zone. I can't hold onto a signal for more than 5 minutes if even that. Considering that this route is also very hazardous, the ability to get in touch with someone if anything happened would be fantastic.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm not sure what you're asking.  If Verizon service does not work at your school, open a new account with AT&T or any other provider of your choice.  If you're too young to do that in your name, ask you grandparents to open the account for you.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The other option is to get a prepaid account though a carrier that works in that area.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
habeebee27
Enthusiast - Level 2

You don't necessarily have to be in the same area as your grandfather. When you call Customer Service, the agent can call your grandfather and conference him in, get his permission to talk to you, and then you and the agent can continue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

First, I would like to apologize for all the phone issues you have had with us cliffburton19621986. I can understand the importance of having reliable service when you move. The community has some awesome suggestions for how to handle this without cancelling and incurring an early termination fee. If you keep service when you move, you can contact customer service and we can definitely call Grandpa and discuss any account or equipment concerns you have and take care of them on the phone. Additonally, you can definitely take over the line when you turn 18, which is only a few months after your birthday. We want you to stay with us when you turn 18 and take over your line, so lets address those service issues in the area your moving to. Whats the zipcode? I can check the coverage and if theres been any reported issues. What phone do you have? What specific issues are you having with that phone? If you're eligible to upgrade, try a different model, possibly 4g in that new area. I hope the information me and the community provided is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on twitter @vzwsuppport

0 Likes