Early Termination
Evelz13

My husband and I are planning on joining the Peace Corps and would need to cancel out cell phone service prior to departure. Does Verizon have any exceptions for this kind of circumstance? Does early termination negatively affect credit?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Early Termination
grammytina

The only way early termination fee would affect your credit would be if you didn't pay it. Remember it is prorated based on how much time you have left on your contract. Also, not all phones have the same early termination fee. My iphone is higher to terminate than my husband's pantech 3.... almost cancelled but then they started the unlimited shared plan and it solved most of our problem and lowered our bill considerably. Now there is never an overage.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

I do not believe that Verizon will make an exception to the Early Termination fee (ETF) for this circumstance, but it never hurts to ask (meaning ask Customer Service) when you call to cancel your lines of service. 

No, paying the ETF does not badly affect credit as you are in fact completing the contract per the terms stated.

Good luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A big thank you to you and your husband for your plans to join the Peace Corps Evelz13! And Spiral is right that it never hurts to ask about what kind of exceptions are available for military. There is a Federal Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA) for eligible servicemembers that we will absolutely take into account if you need to suspend or cancel your service. Please follow and direct message me your mobile number and a good time/# to be reached so we can talk about the best option to fit your changing needs.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
sidhug

Hi Jennifer,

I'm also joining the Peace Corps, and provided official documentation, I'm hoping to avoid an early termination fee for suspending my contract for a period of two years. I requested to follow you in hopes of discussing this further. Thanks!

0 Likes