Re: Early termination fee free?
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, not happier.  When the government says specifically they don't have to pass it on to the consumer, it's just a cost of doing business, then it just doesn't sit well with me.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

do you expect any business to eat any fee the goverment puts on it?

no they pass it on to the consumer/end user. 

dont like it? call your conressman and have it repealed

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

mdram4x4 wrote:

they just pass it on, goverment changes it all the time

every carrier does this

consider it  tax.  it pays for the obama phones

there happier?

Make that Reagan phones.

0 Likes
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

USF was in 1996 I believe. That'd make it Clinton...

0 Likes
vzwbutterfly
Enthusiast - Level 3

medic664 wrote:

I initially signed up the end of December 2012, and they've changed my contract to the 3rd of January.  That on top of the move to 24 month upgrades, the contract date change, and the ridiculously deteriorating services here make me want out.  Any of these be enough to get me out without an ETF? 

Secondly, if I were to be able to get out and have my ETF waived, would I be able to get it waived and my contract nullified, then at whatever point I want(a day, a week, depending on when I can get somewhere I'd like new service from) go port my numbers to the new provider, or am I stuck doing it when they say the ETF is waived?

Sir, it look's like the only reason you've posted on here is to argue. We've already offered you your options as would Customer Service which I'm sure you've already talked to. You signed a legal and binding contract. You got a 700 phone for free with the upgrade fee. Your more then welcome to leave and go somewhere else but your still going to have to pay the ETF to buy out your contract. To answer your other question tho, if you disconnect your line you cannot port it out. You can only port active lines. You can always choose to disconnect and let it go to collects. Cause ya know, that will sooo show Verizon.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

medic664 wrote:

USF was in 1996 I believe. That'd make it Clinton...

True, but the phones that mdram were referring to are part of the Lifeline program that started in 1985.  Congress expanded the types of companies that had to contribute to the USF in the Telecommunications Act of 1996 to include wireless telephone companies.  Lifeline is funded by the USF.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

in 1985 they were not cell phones, and landlines were cheaper

i have no issue with providing landlines

but thats another topic

21stNow
Master - Level 1

I thought that it was obvious that the program didn't start with cell phones when this sidebar started and especially when I mentioned that wireless companies began to be included in 1996.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yea those were the Days MD my Uncle had one of Radio Telephones in his Truck his was connected to the Horn maid a loud sound and would scare the Heck out of ya.. Were i'm going with this O early Term fees Heck we had them with alltel as far back as 1992 i can remember them being around  $175.00 then they Jumped to $200.00 it was one part of the Contract my folks disliked).  We had one of the first bag phones out it was a Motorola that thing had some incredible Range especially if you had a external antenna as we did on our Truck..   

0 Likes
Not applicable

medic664 wrote:

Yeah, not happier.  When the government says specifically they don't have to pass it on to the consumer, it's just a cost of doing business, then it just doesn't sit well with me.

The government also say they CAN. I can tell you have never run a business. because if you did you would know that any expenses you have you would passed onto the customer. That's how it works. If you did run a business and eat all the expenses you go out of business quick. You expect Verizon to eat a couple BILLION a year of USF taxes? Verizon would then cut back on upgrading their network how would, that suit you?

0 Likes