End of my rope with lack of support - sadly moving to either ATT or T Mobile
Raydo99

After being a loyal Verizon customer for many years, I find myself in a situation where I feel disappointed and compelled to move our four wireless lines to another carrier and our TV/Internet/Phone service from FIOS to Comcast. It's not something I want to do...Verizon has been mostly great before now and I consider myself loyal...but I really don't have a choice at this point.

I recently purchased a Droid Turbo 2 to replace my aging (and loved) Droid Maxx. There are two things that I require in a mobile device: good sound quality while in my home office and simultaneous voice and data when I am mobile.  Sadly, my new Turbo 2 is providing neither even though my Maxx handled both quite well.

The primary issue is Verizon's move to VoLTE (Advanced Calling) to allow for simultaneous voice and data with any newer phone.  I have a Verizon network extender in my home office which is required in order for me to have decent quality phone calls.  VoLTE is not compatible with the extender, so Advanced Calling must be inactive while I am at home.  But to have simultaneous voice and data while outside, I need it to be active.  That means that I would need to constantly switch Advanced Calling on and then off as I move about. This is not a reasonable solution, especially since I tend to start calls in my office and then move to my car (or vice versa).

Second, even while connected to the network extender the voice quality on the Turbo 2 is very poor (not sure why).  About every other call I am being asked to repeat myself or to hang up and call back to try to get a better connection. Ultimately, I cannot use the Turbo 2 for my business phone.

I contacted Verizon Customer Support on several occasions to ask if they would be willing to accept a return of the phone for a full refund.  Unfortunately, I had just missed the 14 day return window by three days...mostly because with business travel the severity of the limitations and voice quality issues did not become apparent until that time.  My bad on missing the window…I wish that I had timed my phone delivery to not occur just prior to a lengthy trip.  However, I never assumed that the Turbo 2 would give me issues.  My prior Droids met my needs in every way and I thought this one would as well.

Verizon's answer has been consistent...there is no solution except paying off the $524 remaining on the phone and either buying something new or reverting back to my Droid Maxx. There is no extending the return window by three days and no creative solutions.  In other words...they are not willing to help.

I understand fully that Verizon's return policy is 14 days.  But given my track record with them (many years of business, no prior returns, four phone lines on two accounts plus a very expensive FIOS package) I was hoping that they might make an exception by three days.  Especially given that my reason for needing to return the phone is because it simply does not work for me as a phone... as opposed to a personal preference type of reason.

What really disappoints me is that Verizon is offering up to $650 to pay off early termination fees and device payments to lure customers away from the competition.  In other words, if I had this same exact situation but with T Mobile, Verizon would throw money at me to bail me out and sign me on. But since I am already a loyal customer they are not willing to do anything, not even accept a return a few days late.

Ironically, my solution lies in moving my business to T Mobile, who will reimburse me to pay off my Turbo 2 (up to $650) when I sign up for a similar plan for less money.  Since I feel somewhat scorned by Verizon at this point, I plan to move my wife's and daughter's accounts (for a total of four lines) from Verizon as well.  And take my FIOS business and move it over to Comcast. 

I really don't want to do this, but I cannot feel good about taking a $524 bath (or maybe less, if I can resell the Turbo 2) to go back to my old phone.  I don’t want to switch, but Verizon chooses not to help.  For that reason, I feel that I must move on.  Very disappointing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: End of my rope with lack of support - sadly moving to either ATT or T Mobile
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Raydo99, This post has me concerned. Your business partnership with us is greatly appreciated. We would like an opportunity to work toward a resolution with you. Is there another phone you would like to use on our network?
TrinetteW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: End of my rope with lack of support - sadly moving to either ATT or T Mobile
Raydo99

Thank you, Trinette.  I really appreciate your willingness to help.  I would be very happy at this point to simply go back to using my Droid Maxx, which I still have in my possession.  I could then take my time to investigate other options, most notably voice over wifi (available on the Samsung Galaxy line through Verizon).  But I would need to have Verizon take the Turbo 2 back for a refund in order to go that route.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Raydo99

Trinette, to follow up on your message and on my subsequent reply...will you be investigating this in detail?  I appreciate your offer to help, but am concerned that you responded quickly to my original post but not to my more recent response.

Please advise how you will go about investigating and seeking a resolution to my situation.  I need to make a decision quickly. Thanks again.

0 Likes
Raydo99

Bumping this up in hopes of getting a further follow up to Verizon 's original reply

0 Likes
Raydo99

Trinette (or anyone else from Verizon) - are you able/willing to help.   I responded to your question and further follow up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

How much can you get for your slightly used Turbo2 on the resale sites (glyce,swappa, gazelle etc?). I have never seen Verizon extend the return period, so counting on that is very low yield.

It does sound like wifi calling would alleviate your immediate concerns, if you choose to stay with Verizon.

If you complain to telephone CSRs, you may get a one time credit for your hassle, but I would not expect more than that.

0 Likes
Raydo99

Thanks Weth.  I appreciate your insights.

Since Verizon Wireless Support stated (in the first reply to my post) that they want to work with me on a resolution, I am hopeful that they will at least follow through and not leave me hanging.

0 Likes
marauderguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

You missed the return window. End of story.

Raydo99

I just wanted to circle back and thank Verizon Wireless Customer Support for the wonderful follow-up to your original reply and offer to help.

Oh, wait.  There actually was no follow up or help provided whatsoever.  So it really was just a hollow canned message to make it look like they were going to help...so that when people read these boards it looks like Verizon is actually working on it.

Almost all messages from Customer Support on this board are like this.  An initial "we care, we are here to help, clarify your problem" message followed by crickets.

If Verizon responds to this comment, it will be something like this...

"Raydo: We are sorry to hear that your issue is not yet resolved.  This causes us great concern and we are here to help.  What has transpired since your original post?"

Which can be translated as..

"Raydo:  We don't give a crap, but it is important that others reading this post get the impression that we do.  What is your favorite color?"

I would rather that they only respond if they are actually going to engage...or simply stay off these boards altogether.

0 Likes