Extreme Slow Speeds after measly 15g cap
Bgrubz

Hello,

Me and my family have been with Verizon since before there was a Verizon, I was originally grandfathered into the Original Unlimited plan but because I use my phone as my primary Internet I got bullied into changing over to your new "Unlimited" plan and I have been slowly putting up with it for the past few months, but enough is enough, I mean if I even got 600kbs after 15g data cap I might not actually really complain that much, I can still get some things done on the computer with 600kbs...hell I can get things done online with 200kbs I'm sure.  However when ever I go over the 15g cap and my speeds are throttled they are throttled slower then a 56k modem....heck half the time I plug into the hotspot I expect to hear the ping and screech of an old dialup modem.  Seriously I tried downloading something through my steam client, my peak download speed over a 4 hr period during the dead of night when there isn't many other's 'flooding' the network was 30.2 kbs.  I'll grant you I've seen it jump up to a whopping 62kbs.  But I've yet to see anything close 600kbs.  I like how I get bullied into an inferior product after all these years because I'm a high rate user.  And lets face it was Bullied, "Either Change your plan or you will be dropped by XXX date."  Seriously I stay with Verizon because I know anywhere I go I have access to the network, i have other members of family and friends who don't have Verizon and always [Removed] about not having service while I'm running full bars, but this is  getting to be to much for the price I pay monthly.  I get up 600kbs dosn't mean 600kbs, but it shouldn't be slower then the net was in 96.

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Extreme Slow Speeds after measly 15g cap
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is 600 kbps (bits) not 600 kBs (bytes). Be sure to use the correct speed designation. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Me and my family have been with Verizon since before there was a Verizon

You cannot be with a company BEFORE there was a company. You were with a different company that got bought out by Verizon. You can't have been with Verizon BEFORE Verizon existed.

And lets face it was Bullied, "Either Change your plan or you will be dropped by XXX date." 

You weren't bullied. You knew full well that using so much data would have these repercussions. Please say the correct statement "I used all of this data and I honestly thought that they would let me continue even thought I knew that they were cracking down. I could have lowered my data usage to stay on my old plan or I could have gotten a plan which made me pay for what I consume. I chose to ride it out until the last possible second and now I call it bullying from Verizon.".

No carrier has a truly unlimited plan any longer. Once you reach your cap that is it. Also, the hotspot doesn't get prioritized. It gets slowed once you reach the limit. Only your smartphones (and tablets?) get prioritized. If you thought otherwise, you didn't read the details of the plan you were signing up for.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Bgrubz

At Verizon we’ve invested 9 billion dollars a year in our network infrastructure to continue to deliver the best network. We are relentless and will not settle for less. Cell sites are shared resources so even with the nation’s best network, there will be times when congestion on a cell site will cause anyone (no matter what plan or device you have) to experience temporarily slower speeds until the congestion clears up. When looking at the 15GB for the hotspot, you will be slowed down but you still have unlimited access to the internet. There are always changes that impact our Network, some are controllable and others may not be. This can include cell site changes, foliage, construction, population changes, and interference.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

samdall222

I feel your misery! We live in an area where we rely on Verizon for internet because there are no other available internet services, and we too are faced with this same scenario.

Using Verizonunlimitedplan: The speed of my Hot-spot after 15gb data is used is 76kbps maximum (and creeps between 49-70kbps on average) which is so slow that normal internet browsing such as google searching and online banking is badly crippled.

My question is: How can you be happy using the internet if your going to be waiting between 30-60 seconds for a simple google search to pop up? Seriously. Our Alexa even stutters. 

Unless Verizon increases this unnecessary, extremely limited throttled speed (because I'm paying Verizon a good deal of money for our service)  I would highly recommend looking to see if there are other Unlimited Data plans out there that throttle at 3G or 144kbps or higher consistently.

We were told by the Verizon rep that our service would Throttle to 3G speeds after the data cap was used. I remember 3G like it was yesterday. It was great. Looking at what I have to deal with now is similar to Dial-Up speeds.

I suppose we wait for Verizon to spend a few more billions of dollars so that we can have efficient internet access.

At Best.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

samdall222 wrote:

I feel your misery! We live in an area where we rely on Verizon for internet because there are no other available internet services, and we too are faced with this same scenario.

It's not Verizon Wireless responsibility to provide you with home internet if other ISPS refuse to do so. Verizon offers SOMETHING and they are the bad guy? Meanwhile the wired ISP who all obviously refuse to provide service they aren't the bad guys? Do other areas in your county have access to a cable ISP? maybe time to ask your local government why you aren't afforded the same option despite paying taxes every year.

I suggest getting satellite internet if Verizon's service is so abysmal.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Wireless data is NOT meant to support all needs for home internet.

If you do not have sufficient home connectivity, you need to petition providers to come and get your area connected. Using MOBILE internet as a home solution is never the answer.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

sprmankalel wrote:

Wireless data is NOT meant to support all needs for home internet.

If you do not have sufficient home connectivity, you need to petition providers to come and get your area connected. Using MOBILE internet as a home solution is never the answer.

It's easier for people to complain about the one company that does offer SOME kind of service and call them the bad guy because they can't provide the service others can IF they bothered to serve these areas which of course they refuse. but they aren't the bad guys.  Weird if you ask me.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I totally agree.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

samdall222 wrote:

You may want to look into unlimitedville.com which has plans with the 4 major US providers for unlimited data without any throttling or caps. Of course it is more expensive but you don't have the same restrictions. For Verizon, there is a $100 setup fee which includes a hotspot router and then a $250/month plan cost.

0 Likes