Extremely slow data speed at Wright Patterson AFB
Woodhaven
Enthusiast - Level 1

We took a pole and everyone says the same thing Verizon is terrible when it comes to internet connection on your phone if you work at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio.  It works fine off base but as soon as you drive through the gate the reception drops to unusable levels. 

I listen a audiobooks while I work and if one ends and another is not ready a book that would take me 3 min to download over 4G off base takes between 4 and 8 hours on base.

I hear from Sprint and AT&T customers that their phones work fine and they can do things like watch youtube.  I am amazed at this as my wife can't even send me a picture through facebook messager.

It has been 2 years and service is only getting worse.  This month I started getting a no internet connection message when trying to do simple google searches.

I just ran a speed test from my phone sitting at my desk and the results are pathetic.  Several times the speed test website wouldn't load or faild half way through due to loss of connection.  The two times it did complete the test I got  65 ms latency .34 mbps down and .20 mbps up... the second was 47 ms latency .13 mbps down and .16 mbps up...  really?

These tests were within 5 min of each other.  This is unacceptable I spend too much time at work to have this bad of service on my phone.  WiFi is not an option on base my phone needs to work!

0 Likes
Re: Extremely slow data speed at Wright Patterson AFB
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have data speeds that are consistent at all times so that you can listen to your audio books at work. I want to make sure that I get a full understanding of your situation by asking you a few questions.When you are having issues with your data, is this happening only indoors? How far away from the base do you need to go to get service? Are you working inside of a building that is made of any metal materials? Are there a lot of government electronics running in your building during your workday?  

NicholeK_VZW

0 Likes
Uktra06

I'm not the original poster, but am experiencing the same issues on base. I work in a concrete building next to an exterior wall, but the slow speeds happen even when I'm outside on base. There are no excessive electronics, just standard office computers. It usually speeds back up to normal right as I reach the gate to leave. 

My phone also shows 4G and two to four bars of service at all times. But when I actually try to do things on data, it is incredibly slow. It took almost a full minute just to log in to the Verizon site to post this. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how important it is to have quick speeds. I do want to set the expectation regarding indoor coverage. Many factors outside of Verizon’s control can contribute to indoor performance. Common causes of signal related change may include:

• Interference
• In-building issues
• Foliage
• Construction
• Population changes
• Cell site changes (e.g., tower relocation, antenna alignment, power adjustment, etc.)

Do you have access to Wi-Fi inside this building? You indicated that you have to drive to the gate on the base? How far is the drive to the base? Can you provide a speed test when outdoors? Got to http://spr.ly/660816bBj to run a test. AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
Uktra06

I did a speed test inside and out. Inside, I got 0.12 Mbps download and 3.69 upload. Outside I got 0.10 Mbps download and 6.08 upload. Both tests were done when I was on 4G with four bars of signal. Screenshot_20190920-085335_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20190920-090354_Speedtest.jpg

We do not have wifi in our building, and do not plan on allowing it. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you, Uktra06. Do you know what plan you are currently on?

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
Uktra06

I am on the Go Unlimited plan and have used ~13gigs this month. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for letting us know what plan you have, Uktra06. We deeply apologize for not letting you know about your plan before.

The Go Unlimited plan can experience slow data speeds when in an area of congestion. This does not mean that there is a service issue with our network, but a limitation with your plan where other users with a premium plan are given priority.

Please take a look at our current plans like our Play More, Do More and Get More Unlimited plan, updating your plan to one of these plans may be your best option to get the access you are looking to get https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/compare-unlimited/

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
toddg937

I have the same problem. Mine used to be fine but for the past year my data and sometimes texting is horrible. It all works fine until about 8am. After that I cant do anything basically have a useless phone. The guy next to me has Boost mobile and has great data and speeds. I think it is time to switch providers.I have been with Verizon since they were airtouch. Really sad.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Service concerns are not what we want for you. Our goal is to help. What plan are you taking advantage of https://login.verizonwireless.com/vzauth/UI/Login?realm=vzw&goto=https%3A%2F%2Fmyvpostpay.verizonwir...? Do you know other VZW customers in your area with the same experience? When did these issues start? 

CoreyM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes