Extremely slow data speeds!
art_happens
Enthusiast - Level 1

After being bamboozled into switching to the Unlimited Go plan, my download data speeds have slowed down so much that even the My Verizon app can’t load itself. This is not a temporary thing as outlined in our contract. It is around the clock 24/7. After spending over 3 hours on the phone and being passed along to 3 different people in CS, I was told that the only way around the situation was to upgrade my plan and give them $30 more per month for our two lines. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told that a supervisor would not be available for 24-48 hours, and that they would call me back. In the meantime, every CS Rep that I spoke with tried to tell me that less than 50kbps (slower than dial up speeds from the 90’s) was enough to perform basic internet functions like email, yet couldn’t tell me how to even send and email when my email app times out and won’t load due to extremely slow/no data speeds. 

Both phones on our plan are iPhone XR, and the internet speed test was performed by the default speed test provided by Google. Signal strength 3of4 bars LTE. 

Re: Extremely slow data speeds!
jdp3
Enthusiast - Level 1

It seems like the actual service providing corps have insulated themselves from customer service personnel and even the tech service personnel.  My wifi uplink is blazing fast, while my downlink is oozing slow for 90% of any 24 hour period (swag).  About a week ago, my signal level, measured by tech service while on phone with me, was -99 (a good strength). During his test of my links, my uplink rate was in the 10 to 20 mbps but my downlink rate was in the range of 100 to 400 kbps.

The tech said he would place an order to have the area system checked and I would be contacted with findings.  That was about six days ago.  Have heard nothing.  Awful service hasn't improved.

Could it be that Verizon Wireless is using the data transfer bandwidth I'm paying for to service something or someone else, and even the tech support personnel are being kept in the blind so that they and customers, like me, are kept doing futile exercises?  

bearone21
Legend

bamboozled!! not too long ago i switched from a 4g shared plan to go unlimited & saved money + speeds were the same.

a short time later i talked to another rep & swapped to start unlimited & saved money/month a 2nd time.

the best speeds you'll see from the network are between 5-12mbps & can be much slower.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

When uplink exceeds downlink that is usually an indication of a lot of users on that tower.  10-20 is still excellent.   No tin foil hats needed.  

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Go will always be de-prioritized.  If you live in an area where towers are often loaded, you will need to get a plan that has premium prioritized data.  

0 Likes
art_happens
Enthusiast - Level 1

Weth, first 50kbps and slower is not acceptable. Second, “If you live in an area where towers are often loaded, you will need to get a plan that has premium prioritized data,” is a garbage reply. Verizon should have explained that slow speeds is not temporary where we live and defined that slow speeds will be slower than dialup and the their very own MyVerizon app won’t be able to load in their own network. I will not need to get a plan that has premium with Verizon, and for you to tell me what I need to do is insulting. What I will be doing is leaving Verizon for another carrier. Making it so that I “need” to upgrade my plan is not smart business and has driven this customer away. 

Weth
Legend

Garbage or not, it is a valid reply for some to consider and is what some people do. I have also had bad experience with de-prioritized data on Verizon and have chosen to have a plan that has the premium LTE data bucket. It doesn’t slow as much as you (which really does sound terrible), but it does make anything more than checking email painful to impossible during busy times in our area. 

All the carriers use the prioritized/de-prioritized data concept. It comes down to how loaded towers are in your area for each carrier and whether it is worth it to you to pay for a higher priority so you have speeds when you want it.  

It’s is thankful we still have options in cellular choice (4 but soon depressingly down to 3) and I wouldn’t stand for 50 kbps either. 

Not sure why it took it personally insulting, just indicating what one would need to do to get prioritized in a heavily trafficked area. 

Options for one that is in a similar situation to you:

Get on a plan that has prioritized data

Move to a different carrier

Accept certain times will be slow 

In my experience, the only thing that makes companies really change is moving your dollars somewhere else. Always do what is best for you. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Art_happens, I am sorry to hear that you have very slow data speeds and you are having a negative customer experience.
It would be sad to lose you as a valued customer, and I want to help restore your faith in us. I am sending you a private note to address your concerns.

EdwinW_VZW

0 Likes
Anewleaf
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happening to me and I’m in. Marin county 15 miles from San Francisco.. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anewleaf,

Getting great service you can rely on is always a big deal. We want to make sure you can use your phone how you need to. We're glad to help. What plan do you have? Do these issues happen all the time or only at certain times of day? Does the phone work better in other places?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes