FALSE DATA USAGE CHARGES
KLACV05
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife and I have been Verizon customers for over 15 years.  We have a 250MB plan which is low for 2 phones.  However, my wife and daughter mainly use WiFi and rarely ever use the mobile data.  However, our previous billing cycle showed a short overage of the plan and then recently I find out that for this billing cycle our account is showing that we used over 26 GBs which is outrageous (charges are over $1,000).  They did not use all of this data, it is absolutely false.  I spoke to Verizon tech. support until past midnight and was told that their diagnostic shows that my wife's phone on one day last week recently used over 23 GBs which is untrue.  How can someone use that much data in 1 day anyway? I will listen to Youtube programs at times on my work phone when traveling for approx. 2-1/2 hours on the road and don't even use 0.5 GBs.

Is anyone else experiencing false data overages?  I checked both phones and mobile data is off yet VZ indicates that data has been used.  I am at a loss at this point.  We are not going to pay for the overages and may end up cancelling VZ and moving to AT&T if this does not get resolved.

Angry and Frustrated!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FALSE DATA USAGE CHARGES
Weth
Legend

There is a new bug in the Verizon usage app that is affecting some. From the few cases I have seen, including close relatives, the app is switching MB to GB in error. So a 25 MB of usage would show 25 GB of usage and a large percentage over data. I am awaiting Verizon to officially confirm this error and fix the web site. I suspect this will not be done over the 4th of July holiday weekend.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you look at her phone to see if the data usage counter on the phone disputes or correlates the usage on your MyVerizon account online?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Herbie7134
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue. I barely use data. I have a 1GB plan and only use on average 500MB per month. Over the past few months I have not even used 100MB. I am around wifi 99% of the time and manage my data religously. I check to make sure my wifi is turned on and data off multiple times every time i am around wifi. Even when i go other places i rarely use data. I have 14 days left on my billing cycle and Verizon is saying that i have used 65GB in just a few days. I say again 65GB in a few days. I reset my data statistics on my phone at the start of each billing cycle and it reads 57MB which i know is off by 8MB because i used 8MB before i reset it last month. So only 65MB used out of 1GB. I have 7 to 8 forms of proof that i have not used that much data and that their system has an error. Also one of the proofs is that the system said the other day that i used 16363828735271863627% of my data, which is clearly a system error then yesterday the system showed 65GB. I plan to go to Verizon with my various forms of proof and fight this. I hear it has been happening to alot of people recently.

0 Likes
shanncn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm experiencing outrageous overages as well and noticed my wifi keeps turning itself off. I'm about to report this as my charges are unbelievable! What can we do to stop this?!!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

While the makes & models of the phones are not revealed in these posts, owners of iPhones might want to check to see if Wi-Fi Assist is active. If it is, disable it.

0 Likes
Herbie7134
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wifi assist has been off on my phone since day one.

0 Likes
ALEGLO95
Enthusiast - Level 2

EXTREME data overage alert error? (10000%)?

This blog was posted yesterday, it's affecting a bunch of people, type it into the search community forms.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Just because it's posted does not make it true.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, that is not in a blog format for this community. It is a discussion thread.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know a sudden spike in usage can be alarming and I'm here to help. Let's look into this. I will be sending you a Private Message momentarily.

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes