Family Locator Delays
src1425

I recently activated Family Locator on my son's phone and set automatic updates for when he leaves/arrives home and school/camp. However, the updates are often delayed. For example, this morning I received auto updates that he both left the house and arrived at school at 11:44 a.m., when this clearly isn't the case. For a service that's offered as a safety and peace-of-mind feature, a 4 hour delay just isn't acceptable. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family Locator Delays
budone
Legend

Could it be he did not turn the phone on until he arrived at school?

0 Likes
Re: Family Locator Delays
LeonardM
Enthusiast - Level 3

src1425 wrote:

I recently activated Family Locator on my son's phone and set automatic updates for when he leaves/arrives home and school/camp. However, the updates are often delayed. For example, this morning I received auto updates that he both left the house and arrived at school at 11:44 a.m., when this clearly isn't the case. For a service that's offered as a safety and peace-of-mind feature, a 4 hour delay just isn't acceptable. 

@src

As was mentioned most likely the phone was turned on at 11:44 am.

There are two things to keep in mind with the Arrival & Departure Update.

1) If it is in a location (i.e. in your case home)

Then the phone is constantly monitoring if it is leaving home, as soon as it gets a GPS reading out of the home location 1/4, 1/2 or 1 mile boundary, then it will let you know. It will not get such a reading if the phone is off. However if at 11:44 am it was turned on it would get a GPS reading, and then let you know it is no longer in the location it thought it was in before it was turned off.

2) If it enters a location (i.e. in your case school/camp)

Then the phone is constantly monitoring if it is entering camp, as soon as it gets a GPS reading in the camp locations 1/4, 1/2 or 1 mile boundary, then it will let you know. It will nto get such a reading if the phone is off. However if at 11:44 am it was turned on it would get a GPS reading, and then let you know it is in a new location that it was outside of before it was turned off.

So discuss with your child keeping the phone on, you can do this by having family locator's Scheduled Update set for 8am, 10am, 12 noon, 2pm, 4pm 6pm each day.. that way you can review it with your child and show them how often the phone was off over the past week (history lasts 7 days), and then have a valuable family discussion saying arrival & departure updates are important for peace of mind of the family, so please keep the phone on, it appeared off at this and this time over the past week, what happened, do you need help being reminded to charge it? etc.

0 Likes