Re: Forced to purchase "Data Plan" contact the CEO
Gremlin098

After 3 calls to 611 and two visits to the Verizon store, I finally got them to remove the data plan from my contract. All it took was insisting to see the manager and then telling him that his salesperson had misrepresented the plan when she sold me the phone. My opinion of Verizon is so much lower now than it was 2 days ago!  They are alienating people who would otherwise be lifetime customers by forcing them to buy something they don't want just because it's "policy". I have a policy too - I don't let people try to rip me off without making them regret it, which is why I'm spending the rest of this wasted day trashing Verizon on the web.

To the bonehead who came up with this new policy: If you worked for me you'd be fired already.

To his/her replacement: If you want to try to make this policy stick wihout major damage to Verizon's reputation, tell your customer service reps to remove the data plan quickly and quietly whenever anyone complains. If you make them spend half a day at the store and on the phone, they will hate your company.

0 Likes
msp

You've got it wrong.Just because the phones can perform the service doesn't mean we want or need it and should have to pay. I have had a family plan with five LG env2 phones for the past two years. Now at our anniversary date (time for a new contract!) we want to get new phones comparable to what we have been using... a lot of texting; no data; some voice. We are fine with the status quo except the phones are old. We want to get the enV3 or touch so it's is like what we've been using with the qwerty keyboard that is a decent size keyboard and easy to use. Now we're told that to get one of those phones we have to have a data pack, even if we don't need or want the service. That's an additional $50 a month on top of what we already pay!! Our current phones were capable of data, but we didn't want it and didn't pay for it. Now we are given no choice. So after two years of paying $172 per month for service and taxes (with no data) we either have to downgrade our phones or are forced to pay an additional $50 for a service we don't want. I was just told there are two qwerty phones we could choose from that do not require the data pak (great selection!!) and both of those have the slider feature with a smaller keyboard that is not acceptable. It is a downgrade from what we have now. If they are going to have this requirement for these phones, they need to give us a better option for the qwerty keyboards... that is not an extravagance. That is our reward for following through with a two-year contract.

0 Likes
KelVonGinger

I hear you mention the complete data block.  I was told by Verizon last night that with the way the new plans are built, that a complete block might no longer be possible.  They were willing to try, but did say that if it worked I would not only use the internet but some of my texting ability as well (pic messaging).  I simply need the ability to control internet access on any phone I will be giving to my children.   Please refrain from telling me I am free to get a cheap, old flippy phone for them as they currently have the Env's.

The lack of parental controls has me concerned.

0 Likes
CellTalker
Enthusiast - Level 3

KelVonGinger wrote:

They were willing to try, but did say that if it worked I would not only "lose" the internet but some of my texting ability as well (pic messaging).

Wow!  They are still telling people that??   That is SO last year!!  I was fed that ds for 10 months which prevented me from putting the block in place until I finally talked to a wonderful, knowledgeable, honest customer service rep who told me that was nonsense.  She helped me apply the block in about 2 minutes on all 5 lines and no one in my family lost any capability other than all that accidental pocket surfing we had been doing.  Other than not having $1.99 per line per month on our bill, we don't miss those brief internet encounters.

0 Likes
tiffini128

I am Not happy about the new data plans being mandatory!!!! They tell me this is because it is the best for m y phone. Seriously? You think I can only ‘best’ use my LG Env 3 by accessing the internet? Let me assure you that I have been ‘best’ using my ENv 3 since the day I purchased it without internet coverage. This was over a year ago!!! And I am happy with its performance. I have great call reception, battery life, the keyboard is user friendly, the calculator is extremely handy, the alarm clock is the easiest to set and use of any I have ever had, the display large and terrific, the camera shoots great photos, I like the calendar setup..... Who is verizon to suggest that I am not getting the best use I can from my phone because I do not want, need, or have internet coverage? the internet coverage should be optional not mandatory! WHAT TO DO???????

0 Likes
kylek14

tiffani,

It's not the case, Im pretty sure the verizon reps were told to say that.

Earlier this year or late last year, verizon had a lawsuit against them about the $1.99 MB data charges (that my mom flipped about on the bill every month, even though internet was blocked, it still turned up on the bill) 

My guess would be that this is their "quick fix" in order to avoid any serious blows to the company. Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend VZW, in fact I'm kind of annoyed because I was due for an upgrade in december, and my dad kept putting it off, and when he finally decided to get my phone, they needed a data plan, so I'm still stuck with my original EnV (which needs to charge externally and has multiple problems). 

They are probably working out some sort of solution as we speak (my hope is the agreement to BLOCK DATA in order to have the phone)  my parents blocked data and i could still get picture messages (there were some duds, but it's ok. just ask them to resend the msg) and IMs and whatnot, so they cant tell you that you wouldn't be able to text without data.

0 Likes
berger

I totally agree with the fact that we as consumers should have a choice of device and a choice of service. We shouldn't be forced into expensive contracts just because we would like to use a device that is internet capable.

This isn't about good customer service, this is about locking people into paying massive fees for company profit. Not only have prices for plans gone up, but early termination fees for "advanced" devices have doubled. This is clearly a move by the company to profit off those who aren't willing to find an alternative.

Since I'm outraged by the new contract terms that verizon is imposing on it's customers and my own contract ends in April, I've purchased the phone that I'd like to use off of eBay. It costs more to go that way, but I don't want to be locked into paying $80 a month for 2 years for a service I'm not sure I even want. Apparently with verizon the freedom to choose is expensive. I may continue to use verizon, or I may not, now it's up to me because I don't have to make a commitment to verizon and the extra $ it costs to have a choice is worth it.

I'm happy to see that others share my sentiment on this issue. Hopefully some of these telecoms will hear these complaints and realize that it's not a good way to treat their customers. Verizon is on track to being hated by consumers much in the same way to the hatred that Microsoft has earned with their policies (I.E.: company first, customer dead last).

Verizon: If you don't value your customers and offer the freedom to choose, you will lose them!

0 Likes
berger

@irritated on page 1

Thank you for posting that!

My thoughts exactly.

0 Likes
Boober61
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to address a few comments made by Krafft:

"As for contacting the CEO of a multibillion dollar company over a company policy he most likely had a huuuuuge hand in, I'm not sure thats the best idea."

Who is the right person?  If you are going to hear about what is wrong in your own organization why not be the first.  I am betting he didn’t think of this idea.  Some bright marketing person did that.  Start at the top if the top does nothing it is time to move on.

It is always a good idea for consumers to voice opinion on a practice or policy they do not agree with.  There is always a chance for change when consumers speak out whereas if someone follows your flawed advice, there is not.

"No one is making you get a phone that requires internet."

Right and no one is making me buy internet too.  Just about all our phones have Internet capability but we are not made to purchase a plan we don't plan on using.  all my phone in my house hold of 4 have the internet capability but we don't use it or have to...why now? 

No, Verizon is making me choose between a product I do not want, a coverage I do not want, or a hefty early termination fee. This is a strong-arm tactic to push coverage (internet) that many people do not want or need.

"You are the one that picked the phone, it is just a feature that is used to help you best use the phone for what it was intended for."

Oh you are miss a key word here "optional"  it is an optional feature and that option is being taken away.  No phone were intended to call people, we now expect it to do more for communication comfort.  My parents don't text should they be forced to buy a text plan? They don't take pictures with their phones should they be forced to buy a multimedia plan to send pic's?  You have ton of features you don't use on your phone you want to open this door that allows your provider to charge you for them when you don't use them.  I think not!

Seriously? You think I can only ‘best’ use my LG Nve Touch by accessing the internet? Let me assure you that I have been ‘best’ using my Nve Touch since the day I purchased it without internet coverage last August and I am happy with its performance. I have great call reception, battery life, the keyboard is user friendly, the calculator is extremely handy, the alarm clock is the easiest to set and use of any I have ever had, the display large and terrific, the camera shoots great photos, I like the calendar setup..... Who are you to suggest that I am not getting the best use I can from my phone because I do not want, need, or have internet coverage?

"It's like buying a MP3 player and not wanting to use it for music"

No it is like buying a phone and then telling you that it is a internet device and you have to pay for it.  Ok let’s say it is like a MP3 oh wait it does that and they charge for that to if you choose to use it but you don't so they don't. 

No it is not.

"or buying a Ferrari and getting mad at the insurance company for making you pay $400 a month for insurance because it goes fast."

No dude its like buying a Ferrari and getting a speeding ticket because it could go fast but you don't drive it that way.  You have the option to do so but you choose not to.

No it is not

"You have to match your needs to a phone that fits those needs."

Your right easy thing to do huh?  So find me a phone with a keyboard so I can text with no data plan?  You can't not a good one at least.  You are spot on "my needs" I know what I want, and what I need, it is not a data plan.  Why should I pay to upgrade my phones all 4 of them to a plan that is going to make my bill go up$ 40.00 for something I don't use, nor have had to use in the last 6 year on my old plan?  Why  should I stay with a provider that is making me do this.  If you ask me we should be give the option to opt out of the plan early because of these changes. 

I did exactly this when I purchased my LG Nve Touch last August (without internet coverage) and the phone is still fitting my needs perfectly today.

"Obviously if you are complaining about a feature that helps make that phone what it is, then you are picking the wrong phone! "

We are all picking the Wong phone then dude...everyone on this Blog is wrong we all want pie in the sky and don't want to pay for it. or just maybe we don't like PIE and don't want to be charged for it when we didn't order it.  Verizon does not make phones they oversee the LG models and other to meet their spec, they approve what they are going to promote, thus they are picking what we can pick to use in the future, and they are not picking phone without the ability to do email and internet they are picking that is should have these features so we can use them...and now it is because we have too.  You are getting features, benefits, and Options mixed up there.  This is a option that benefits the feature, and shouldn't as in the past require a must purchase clause.

I did not pick the wrong phone. I picked the perfect phone for my needs and am happy with its performance and features. I do not need someone to force internet coverage on me to continue to enjoy my phone and its performance.  

0 Likes
ws450r

I heard back from an assistant in the CEO's office. She offered me 3 free months of the data service, and also said they have a contract with Blackberry saying that the data plan has to be required on their phones. Has it always been this way? She also said the Droid is basically for Google Maps (how in the world did anyone ever get by with using a paper road map. OH THE SHAME!!! I would imagine some kids today can't even read one. Heck, I still pull mine out from time to time.) She asked if I was ever out and about and needed the internet. Well no ma'am, I pay for it at home and received a GPS unit for X-mas. I have a laptop that has wireless in it, and just about every hotel I would stay at has free wireless internet. I also have a good phone that gets me reception pretty much anywhere if I am stranded. I am not a 15 year old that needs to be connected to facebook 24/7 letting everyone know I am going to the bathroom, or fixing supper, or going to get my hair or nails done!! (These people need a life) I don't need a data plan, plain and simple. I want a nice phone. My brother has a Blackberry through AT&T and doesn't get charged a data plan, we should be able to as well. Just because Jan. 18th hit, doesn't mean what was done before that date does not exist anymore.

She did say that many people are unhappy with it, but didn't know if anything would be done. I have a Razr 2 and said if I don't want a data plan I basically have to downgrade. She then tried selling me on the 3G Multimedia phones, which still require a $9.99 plan. I don't think they hear themselves talk. They better get rid of this fee.

0 Likes