Re: Forced to purchase "Data Plan" contact the CEO
FireRon

More of the story....

There are two basic types of phones.  Ones that use  CDMA and ones that use GSM.  A lot of phones that you buy are "locked" into one provider, like the Casio G'zOne.  However, these phones can be "unlocked" provided you have the code to enter into them to release them from being used on only one network. 

Once you get the Unlock-Code, all you need is IMEI Number.  You can get the IMEI number of your phone by typing in *#06# in some phones, or you can find it under the battery cover in others.   Now, with the unlocked phone and the IMEI number, you can contact ANOTHER provider that uses GSM or CDMA (depending on which your phones uses)  and have them activate your phone.  It's NOT against the law to do this...Companies just don't like you knowing that you CAN do this. 

The trick is that unlocking CDMA phone is a bit harder.  You have to download software to help you do this.  But it is still possible.

Just use google or yahoo to dearch for help in how to unlock your phone.  Type in "How to unlock a CDMA cell phone".  Once your phone is unlocked, you can go to another CDMA service provider and activate it with the IMEI number.  Easy as Pie!

As always, take care and be Safe!

Ron

0 Likes
hnksmom

I to do not feel I should be forced to purchase a data plan that I will not use.  My 2 kids are on my plan and it was time for them to upgrade, or should I say down grade, since I refused to pay an extra $9.99 each line for data that I have blocked on both previous phones, I even have it blocked on my phone, so there is no accidental charges. My oldest went from an LG Voyager, to the LG Cosmos, we did not know that it did not have video, so it was a disappointment to say the least.  Both my kids have the Cosmos and one was worn out in 3 months with the amount of texting that they do, the other has went back to the old phone, some upgrade.

I was able to eligible to upgrade in November, but I think I will just ride the kids contract out then, go somewhere else if, this Data Plan requirement is not changed. I have been with Verizon since 2005.

I sit at a computer all day long, so I have no need for web or downloading data.  The 4 phones they had to choose from, were very disappointing to my kids, but its my dime not theirs.  I have no land line, and they have after school activities so I need to be able to contact them when needed.  I am a single parent and can not afford to throw money away on something that would be used. 

$20 month x 12 months = $240  You choose, Data Plan or Grocery's for about a month?

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

hnksmom wrote:

I to do not feel I should be forced to purchase a data plan that I will not use.  My 2 kids are on my plan and it was time for them to upgrade, or should I say down grade, since I refused to pay an extra $9.99 each line for data that I have blocked on both previous phones, I even have it blocked on my phone, so there is no accidental charges. My oldest went from an LG Voyager, to the LG Cosmos, we did not know that it did not have video, so it was a disappointment to say the least.  Both my kids have the Cosmos and one was worn out in 3 months with the amount of texting that they do, the other has went back to the old phone, some upgrade.

I was able to eligible to upgrade in November, but I think I will just ride the kids contract out then, go somewhere else if, this Data Plan requirement is not changed. I have been with Verizon since 2005.

I sit at a computer all day long, so I have no need for web or downloading data.  The 4 phones they had to choose from, were very disappointing to my kids, but its my dime not theirs.  I have no land line, and they have after school activities so I need to be able to contact them when needed.  I am a single parent and can not afford to throw money away on something that would be used. 

$20 month x 12 months = $240  You choose, Data Plan or Grocery's for about a month?

I agree with your position that the purchase of Groceries takes priority over the extra cost of a data plan.  Respectfully, may I recommend that you take the savings a step further and eliminate the costly phones for your children altogether.  After all, kids managed very well in previous years without having mobile phones (and parents in constant contact) and food on the table IS more important.

0 Likes
this_is_nascar

With all due respect, at what point in time did owning a cellphone or kids having cellphones become a God given right?  You make it sound as someone did you wrong in not being able to afford phones for your kids.  If you're to the point where it's either food or phone, I think you need to can the idea of providing the kids with cellphones.

0 Likes