Fraud and False Advertising - How Does Verizon Continue to get Away with This??
LIMAKO
Enthusiast - Level 2

So yesterday my son attempted to upgrade his phone which was eligible for an update.  As he went through the process he selected a phone (out of the many many options) that was advertised as Get it Free.  Online Only.   When he finally got through the process, there was no credit for his phone and the phone was not free.  We attempted to cancel immediately and were told the order was canceled.  But it hasn't been.  The website is very deceiving and worthy of reporting to BBB - and possibly elsewhere. Since my phone was eligible for an upgrade, I went through the process to upgrade to see what would happen. I selected a model that was advertised as 'Get it Free. Online Only" - same as my son's option. I had less choices than he did but I have a totally different phone. Makes sense. But as I went through the steps I got a notice that my device cannot be traded and is ineligible for the promo due to its condition. There is nothing wrong with my phone. Works perfectly fine and is not cracked or broken.   The system can identify the phone you have before it gives you options on an upgrade.  How can Verizon advertise phone options as free then change the conditions as the purchase moves forward? This has to be false advertising and an unfair business practice (note this site won't let me use the word that starts with S and ends with an M)

!  Seems others have similar complaints yet it continues to happen.  Must be a way to get them to stop this...

0 Likes
Re: Fraud and False Advertising - How Does Verizon Continue to get Away with This??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LIMAKO, upgrading a device should be an exciting time. Allow us to apologize if you have come across any issues. We certainly want to make sure everything with our systems are correct. May we ask what make/model phone you were trying to upgrade to? Also, just to clarify, was this on our website or through the My Verizon app? 

-Christine

Re: Fraud and False Advertising - How Does Verizon Continue to get Away with This??
LIMAKO
Enthusiast - Level 2

If getting my blood pressure boiling is exciting then I guess this is an exciting adventure.  We were using the website.  I attempted to do a free upgrade to a Certified preowned Apple I Phone 12.  Think my son thought he was upgradng to a free online offer for an Apple 12 ProMax (Certified PreOwned)

Schuchert
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your not alone. I tried to upgrade 4 lines at the end of November. The ph rep changed my plan without my approval when I told him at the beginning of the call that I was just getting info as 2 of our lines live away from our house at the time so I was going to relay to ea and then we could choose the ph of our liking from the upgrade promo.  When I noticed his changes, I became enraged with his reply to my demand to change it back as we had an 18% additional discount on our FIVE PLANS that can't be applied to unlimited plans. I called back numerous times with no help. One helpful rep escalated and said I would get a supervisor's call but that was over 7 months ago! I found out this week that they signed me up for the 25/mo home protect also and that every line is being charged different amounts. CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS, I WISH THAT I HAD BEEN BUT I WAS HAVING DIFFICULTIES LOGGING INTO ACCOUNT.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LIMAKO, we apologize for the experience you had. We want nothing more than to provide you with the help you need. The current iPhone 12 Certified like new promo allows you to get up to $350 off the phone and requires the line to have any 5G plan. Was your son trading in his phone? 

-Jacob

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for all this information Schuchert, we really appreciate your feedback. I will send you a private note, so we can take care about your account and solve any inconvenience. 

>Alex

0 Likes
LIMAKO
Enthusiast - Level 2

No - that's the phone he was getting when he traded in his IPhone 7, which he thought he was getting for free but it turns out that's not the case at all.

0 Likes
LIMAKO
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's crazy and so so frustrating!  Hope you get help!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we're doing all we can to help, and getting you the deal you were looking for! Please, send us a PM, or send us DM on Twitter. You can also reach out to us via a PM on Facebook. So, we can take a look at your account and get to the bottom of what's happening!

*Chance

0 Likes