Frozen/Disruptive Cell Phone Signal
ChungT

My wife and I both bought Moto X this past weekend, a change from Samsung Galaxy S4.  Everything seems to be working great with the phone -- but this morning, we woke up to find both our phone in a very weird state.

My phone was showing 3 bars of 4 G signal strength (normal in my area), connected to WiFi, Sleep Mode, 3 notifications of upcoming Alarms, Facebook notification, and Email Notification.  The time displayed was 4:14 AM. 

I was jolted awake by my wife's analog clock that she religiously set every night to wake her up at 7 am.  I always laughed at her saying, "you don't need to do that."  But this morning, hearing an alarm that I almost never hear because I'm out the door by 6 am, I panicked and looked at my phone.  When I saw that it was 4:14 am but there's sunlight shining through the bedroom windows, I was confused even further -- what the #&#%&% happened?

The Moto X seemed to be working without a problem. I was able to navigate around the contents of Android to open up the phone dialer, but something was wrong and as soon as I tried to place a call to my work to tell them, "my phone *!$%* up and I'm going to be late", it would not dial but instead froze.  The same was going on with my wife's Moto X, but instead of showing 4:14 am (or 7:08 am as the right time), her phone was showing 11:47 pm -- I tried to dial to my work with her phone and it froze up too.

Power down and powering the phones back up fixed the problem. 

Were we kidnapped by aliens but didn't know it?  Has this happened to anyone else??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Frozen/Disruptive Cell Phone Signal
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ChungT,

Sorry to hear about what happened with your devices! We definitely want to make sure that everything is back up and running at 100%. After powering off and on, has this happened since? The phones sound like they needed to reconnect to the towers, hence the trouble when dialing as well.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ChungT

Nope, it hasn't happened since.  The phone is working great.  I am thinking it was just something with the local cell tower gone awry and that it's been repaired since but wanted to know if this has ever happened to other folks and if there is any preventative measures.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the information, ChungT. It's certainly out of the ordinary for something like that to occur. I have not heard of this occuring in the past. Has anything like this occurred since then? Feel free to keep us posted towards any concerns that you may run into.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Re: Frozen/Disruptive Cell Phone Signal
ChungT

It happened again this morning. I woke up at 6:34 am, the time on my Moto X showed 3:27 am.  The time remained stuck on 3:27 as I took pictures of the phone.  I now think it's a phone issue because it did not happen to my wife's phone, just mine... even though we have exact same phone bought at exact same time...  maybe it's just defective!

http://imgur.com/64gCqPd

Anyways, going to visit a Verizon Store after work today to see if I can get a new Moto X

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ChungT,

I am sad to hear about the problems with your phone. Getting an accurate time on your phone is definitely important. Have you tried to power your phone off and on? Keep us posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ChungT

Yes, power cycle fixes the clock.  I understand that I should set a regular bed side alarm clock and not rely on my phone to wake me up. I do have a new alarm clock -- but the good thing about the phone is that I don't have to remember to set the alarm every night whereas I have to for the bed side alarm.

Unfortunately for me, it just so happened that I forgot to set my bed side alarm last night and the phone's clock died too -- so I was late to work this morning.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ChungT,

I am not showing this as being a known issue on the Moto X. Are you using the stock alarm app, or a 3rd party alarm app for yours and your wife's phones?

Also, did you know that you can reach out to us for immediate assistance on Twitter by tweeting @VZWSUPPORT? We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes