Goodbye Unlimited Data?
harmonious
Enthusiast - Level 3

Greetings,

Question. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the remaining carriers that offer unlimited data will soon follow the footsteps of those that offer teird data plans to make more money?

Yes, it's quite refreshing that T-Mobile, and Sprint still offer unlimited data but the question is, how long will this last?

Those that are upset with Verizon, and AT&T might leave and go for unlimited but could soon face the reality that one day, their carrier says goodbye to unlimited data and tries to force those grandfathered in, out. Then we'll be right back at square one again.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Goodbye Unlimited Data?
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Things ebb and flow in the mobile industry.  I've had a data plan for over ten years.  I don't think unlimited data plans existed when I first got one on Verizon Wireless and I know that they didn't have unlimited data when I switched to AT&T Wireless.  AT&T had tiered plans and the top plan there was 8MB per month.  As time went on, carriers came out with unlimited data plans.  Now, we are seeing them trend back towards tiered plans, while some other carriers want to maintain a competitive advantage.

Things change over time.  We may ride the data wave for a while, then there may be a new technology that will command our attention (and dollars) and another cycle will begin.

0 Likes
harmonious
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree completely and this is why I haven't made a move yet. Things are always changing. Soon, in a few years, Verizon just might bring back unlimited. You never know. As mentioned before, you can make a switch to an unlimited provider and they might take unlimited away. You just never know anymore these days.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Of course they will get rid of it. It is impossible to offer unlimited 4G data. A few people tethering their phones to their PCs watching Netflix uses up all the bandwidth. That's not hyperbole that's factual.

0 Likes
DongJi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think they should really stop those people because they ruin it for the rest of us. I would love to keep my unlimited data plan for as long as possible. Is there really anything they can do to stop them though?

0 Likes
Not applicable

DongJi wrote:

I think they should really stop those people because they ruin it for the rest of us. I would love to keep my unlimited data plan for as long as possible. Is there really anything they can do to stop them though?

Think about what you said. How do you offer "unlimited data" then set limits? Then what is "unlimited'? That's like having a "All You can Eat" buffet then setting a 3 plate limit.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Back at you.  How could the carriers (at least one) go from offering at the most 8MB of data on GPRS (or whatever was around in 2004) to offering unlimited on EDGE and then 3G?  Those networks allowed for users to do things that they previously couldn't do.  Bandwidth was and is a finite resource.  Why are you so confident that nothing could change with technology and the way that people use their devices so that the pendulum could swing back to unlimited data?

I think that the same thing happened with voice minutes.  An unlimited plan came out around 2002; most carriers didn't jump on this right away and unlimited minutes plans started to fade away.  Most people were on tiered-minutes plans.  Then the carriers started offering unlimited minutes again, in addition to the tiers.  Now, carriers are eliminating the tiers and only offering unlimited.  People speak of the ability to overload towers with voice users, too.  The major thing that changed is that some people use voice minutes less than what was common five or so years ago.

0 Likes
Not applicable

21stNow wrote:

Back at you.  How could the carriers (at least one) go from offering at the most 8MB of data on GPRS (or whatever was around in 2004) to offering unlimited on EDGE and then 3G?  Those networks allowed for users to do things that they previously couldn't do.  Bandwidth was and is a finite resource.  Why are you so confident that nothing could change with technology and the way that people use their devices so that the pendulum could swing back to unlimited data?

I never said Verizon wouldn't ever offer unlimited again. In fact I have said the opposite. Heck Verizon hasn't even got rid of unlimited fully. The changes need to make that possible are still at least 8-10 years away though. So I accept limited data now and anticipate much more down the road . but I'm not going to pine for it daily like other people for the next 10 years. That would drive one insane you'd think.

0 Likes
harmonious
Enthusiast - Level 3

WTF do my comments keep getting deleted?!?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Quit violating the rules.

0 Likes