Got a a new LG V30 phone but it's stuck on 3G
thisisalloneword
Enthusiast - Level 2

I transferred my SIM card from my old phone into it. But for some reason it is stuck on 3G. I changed the network to LTE/CDMA  . Also tried GSM .

Another weird thing is I got an email from Verizon asking me to click a button to "Review and confirm" the new device. But when I click on the button nothing happens. Argh!!!! So frustrated right now, because these companies make this all so complicated... This is my second attempt at bringing my own device. The first attempt failed because I was unaware unlocked phones needed to be compatible with CDMA network.. Anyways, hope you get my frustration...

0 Likes
Re: Got a a new LG V30 phone but it's stuck on 3G
thisisalloneword
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spent a couple hours with Verizon agent. All they could do was suggest the usual boilerplate nonsense:

1) Try restarting

2) Check coverage ( coverage is the same as the old phone with had no problem with 4G )

etc....

Anyways, I am going to try and do a system update. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I will return it.

0 Likes
Doggo
Contributor - Level 3

CDMA and GSM are antiquated terms. Verizon and other carriers use LTE. The important bit is to make sure your phone supports the same bands as the carrier you wish to use.

0 Likes
thisisalloneword
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone was released in September 2017. Everything I read about it suggests it fully supports 4G LTE. So I am totally baffled why it is stuck on 3G. 

When I go to "My Verizon" on the web it doesn't even show a picture or name of the phone under "My Lines". It is registered but seems as if Verizon does not know anything about it.. Another oddity..

0 Likes
thisisalloneword
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did a full system update but it still only connects to 3G. Went through several round of huge system update downloads.. Each time I was hopeful the update would fix it. But alas, not!

The seller on ebay told me to try this:

"Select Settings.
Select Networks.
Scroll to and select Mobile networks.
Select Network mode.
Select GSM/WCDMA auto to enable 3G and GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto to enable 4G".

Unfortunately, under "Network mode" I only see:

1) Global
2) LTE/CDMA
3) LTE/GSM/UMTS

I tried both 1. and 2. Both only connect to 3G network. I tried 3.but it says the network is not available.

Ready to pull my hair out as next step!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I sincerely apologize for the challenges you are encountering when bringing your  own device. I would  be frustrated as well. I will be more than happy to assist. Please share with me what happens when you attempt to use the device on 3G? Also, confirm for me have you tried  a new sim card for the LG?-Rodney

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on getting your new LG V30 Smartphone! It's very surprising to hear that you're experiencing service issues with it (e.g., stuck on 3G signal). We apologize. Let's work together to get this matter resolved.

We don't want to have you repeating troubleshooting steps that you've already completed and we appreciate your time and patience too.  Can you tell us what troubleshooting steps you've completed? Have you tried rebooting your device?

-Robert C.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@thisisalloneword ,

It's great to know that you had checked so many parts of your phone already. However, with 4G services available in all the same areas that our older 3G network is also available, that would mean something on your phone is the issue. You mentioned that you had swapped SIM cards from your old phone into this current one, but is there a reason you had done that instead of activating the phone through your My Verizon account: https://www.verizon.com/support/smart-setup/ ? I ask because swapping SIM cards is not the recommended way to activate current devices, as that can result in a partial or incorrect activation, and if you need a new SIM card those are readily available through any corporate store and customer service. There's also the possibility that the phone you had said was purchased through eBay had this 3G issue to begin with, so if you are within the return window for that phone that may also be the best option as it sounds like all relevant troubleshooting has already been done with the phone. -Russell

thisisalloneword
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ordered a replacement SIM which arrived today. Unfortunately, it does not solve my problem. The phone is still stuck on 3G.

I guess I will return the phone unless anyone has anything else to try. I have already tried in this order:

1) Multiple reboots and factory resets

2) Full system update

3) New SIM

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This issue has gone on far too long. We have sent a Private Message to assist you further.-Sean

0 Likes