Greece trip with two family phones: Verizon 10.00 per day or an international phone?
laurieowl

My two daughters who are on our plan are going to Greece for 2 weeks in June.  I did check that Greece is compatible with their phones.  I also know that it would cost them 10.00 per day on the days they need to use their phones (and that they can put phones on airplane mode when not needed so as to not be charged). 

I had heard that it may be more economical to get "international phones" from sources other than Verizon to travel.

Does anyone in this community know about this?

Thanks so much

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Greece trip with two family phones: Verizon 10.00 per day or an international phone?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

If Greece is a GSM country they can get WhatsApp (they probably already have it) and get a SIM from a carrier in Greece. You will save a TON of money.

0 Likes
Re: Greece trip with two family phones: Verizon 10.00 per day or an international phone?
rcschnoor
Legend

As has been pointed out, an international SIM card may be all that is needed.

If they have available data from an international SIM card, they would be able to receive calls from you via Google Hangouts, Skype or some other similar app as has been stated by paying the local rate for data which would be MUCH less than $10/day.

They could also work with wifi if available in their hotel, coffee shops, etc...

Verizon would be one of the more expensive routes to go.

My daughter has been travelling extensively around Europe since January and because of the duration of the trip I looked into getting an account on Project Fi with a new phone(Nexus 5X). This has worked out tremendously as there is no difference in price of data from being in Europe(at least 10 different countries so far) to being in the US, texting is also included, AND we have the added benefit of being in contact at any time we/she want. So far this has been a MAXIMUM cost of $40/month aside from the phone purchase itself.

Weth
Legend

There are several options, getting a different "International phone" is not one of the good ones. 

Cheapest - whatsapp or Hangouts, wifi only (or a newer phone that has wifi calling)

2nd cheapest - get Greek SIM and put it in phone on arrival.  Use whatsapp or hangouts to communicate back home

Most convenient - $10 per day Travelpass. Able to call within Greece and back home using plan data,text,and minutes

also consider the monthly international plan instead of Travelpass.  Depending on how much use, could be cheaper or more expensive.  No phone number change required.