Home Internet - using data while we aren't home
NROBARDS

We live in a rural are with limited choices for internet.  We recently had the Verizon Cantenna system installed to improve speed of connection over our overloaded rural DSL.  Speed is indeed faster, but we have noted significant data usage while we are not home.  When I contacted customer service, they basically blamed it on devices that are connected to the wifi.  When I explained that there are no devices connected during the day, yet there seem to be 1-3 GB used on several days while we are not home- there was no answer.  What can I do now to help resolve this issue??  Our home internet use consists of websurfing on our mobile phones yet I've had to bump up our data to account for this phantom usage.  We are locked into a ridiculous 2 year contract and I am feeling like a fool for signing up.  Is anyone else having these issues?  Is there anything I can do, short of unplugging the darn router??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Home Internet - using data while we aren't home
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Just because it shows you used data at a certain time, it doesn't mean that is when the actual usage occurred. That is the time when the usage was reported by the tower to your account. It could be up to 12 hours after the actual usage.

0 Likes
Re: Home Internet - using data while we aren't home
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NROBARDS, we want to do all that we can to control the data usage on that device. It can take up to 48 hours for all data usage for that device to post to your wirelesss account online at My Verizon: http://vz.to/1JIOpu2  Please be advised that your Cantenna allows other wireless devices to access the Internet, update software, and back up content when you're not home. There are several ways to minimize the data usage on Internet devices: 

•Power down or disconnect Internet devices when not in use.

•Make sure smart devices like printers and home security components are disconnected when not in use.

•Prevent unauthorized use with password protected security.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes