HomeFusion Broadband..anyone happy?
Domino40
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, I have read several posts regarding the Home Fusion Broadband. This is something we are considering. We currently use the MiFi with a 10GB limit. There have been several months where we will go over our limit. A few weeks ago we installed the AD Blocker and started cutting the device off at night and have noticed a big difference in usage. So we should actually be under on our next cycle. My questions are is anyone actually happy with the Home Fusion and since using the Home Fusion have you seen a difference in usage compared with the MiFi device? I have read more bad reviews than good so I am a little hesitant on this. We are considering the switch because of the difference in price, as it appears to be cheaper per month with the Home Fusion versus the MiFi.

Thanks!Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
Re: HomeFusion Broadband..anyone happy?
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

HomeFusion is great just having the issue of a bad firmware that hitting a lot of us really bad . But good news is their gonna send update end of this month/ early march.

If i was you id wait for that update to be pushed before getting HF.

My usage meter is good as always. But like i said if your smart you will wait for update before getting it save you lots of calls to vzw and advil.

0 Likes
Domino40
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! Our contract is up in July so we still have a little ways to go and some time to make a decision on which way we would like to go. Hopefully as you said the firmware issues will be resolved by then. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

Welcome, glad to help. Yeah by then everything will be good Smiley Happy.

0 Likes
theaints

No, not nappy! just got home fusion installed last wednesday and we have already ate through half of the data package. the sales people I spoke to all said that 20 GB would be more than I would need after I explained to them that I had a teen that likes to game and watch youtube. But what I am seeing now is that Verizon doesn't have a plan that we won't wind up paying a housepayment in overages. I found out that another option is available to me with unlimited data for $119. If you live in a rural area you definately need to look at evdo depot usa. Since I have 14 days to drop this, I will be speaking to the depot monday and see about getting it set up. Other than that, it works great! We switched from satellite which was awful when we found out this was available, so excited that we were going to be able to use the internet like everyone else. We accepted the fact that we were going to pay a premium because we get screwed living outside dsl and cable providers area. But to put unreasonable caps and overage fees on it, is rape. The layman, like myself doesn't understand the geek speak of GB, KB, and MBs, so we rely on the people that are selling it to us to make sure that we are getting what we think we are getting. But instead we are easy targets for unscrupulous people! Beware!

0 Likes
kchelene
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just looked into EVDO DEPOT it is a 3g service...I have a mifi now that is amazing!  But am scheduled for HomeFusion on 3/7/2013.   We have a perfect connection.  Hoping to not have all these problems...

0 Likes
Trey333
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone happy?  That is a great question Domino40...I was wondering that myself after reading so many negative comments about Home Fusion.  However, knowing that the majority of people only take the time to post about a product or service when they are unhappy with it, I took a chance and had Home Fusion installed 11 days ago.

I live in a rural area, and the only ISP option was satellite so I was eager to try what Verizon offered since their cell service had always worked exceptionally well where I live.  When I ordered Home Fusion I was told that our area just recently obtained 4G.  It took a week to get an install date.  I had received an automated message about the time the installer would be there, but he arrived 4 hours earlier.  He seemed like a nice guy, but his English was limited.  When I asked him questions I got a smile, and a "yeah-yeah" as an answer.  He used his own laptop to activate, and then asked me to try my laptop.  I was able to access immediately, and the first thing I did was a speed test.  I had no idea what to expect, so I was pretty shocked to get 28.67mbps!  How is this even possible?  At work we pay for the highest broadband package offered by AT&T and we get speeds that fluctuate (horribly) between 4-7mbps.  When I checked the speed with a PC hardwired into the Home Fusion router the result was 32.67mbps.  So, yeah I'm happy.  However, I received no verbal information from the installer.  He did leave a few printed handouts, and a yard sign that I was apparently supposed to use to advertise to the neighborhood that I now had 4G Home Fusion.  

My biggest concern (after reading the posts here) was the data usage.  I have been monitoring it pretty closely so I could cancel within the first 14 days if I needed to.  I took the 30GB plan even though I thought it was over-priced.  Currently I have used a little more than 7GB (over 11 days of use).  That was my normal use combined with a good amount of music downloading, and streaming along with one movie over netflicks (which I could never do over my previous connection).  I checked the usage prior to streaming the netflicks movie, and then again the following morning.  It appears that the movie used approximately 3GB.  I made sure to set all my wireless devices NOT to automatically update.  At the end of my billing period I will be using any "extra" gigs to do any necessary updates for my tablet, game system, printer, etc.  I should be able to avoid overage charges this way.  It is unfortunate that there is a data cap and that it is so low, and at such a high cost...but this is really the only option for where I live at this time. 

Based on my experience so far I would recommend Home Fusion to anyone that has satellite.

gooseking
Enthusiast - Level 2

HF is a great idea but buyer beware.

1.Data Spikes

We've had HomeFusion since 4-20-13. During the 14 day grace period the usage was reasonable.

After the 14 days into the next billing cycle, we started seeing a pattern of high usage almost 1GB (800-900MB)

at 3:42 am and 9:42 am for four consecutive days. No devices are connected at 3:42am except for the HF router and Cantenna. And at 9:42 there isn't anyone here who can use that much data in that short window.

After careful monitoring the only solution is to unplug the Cantenna not just the router. When it's unplugged there are no spikes in data whatsoever.

2. Can't connect to the internet

Often times we can't get on the internet when all three lights are green. We have to restart several times before

everything syncs up properly. It's very annoying.

The speed is awesome compared to the old MiFi but I'm still considering returning it and take the hit on the early cancellation fee.

I hope this helps someone.

Punkinv
Enthusiast - Level 1

Definitely UNhappy with phantom data usage.  Please let me know if a class action suit is filed.  I'm in!  This is the most amazing blatant ripoff out there by service providers.

0 Likes
Bethslave

I'm actually very happy with the service. I've had it for about one year and have a household including four teenage children located in a rural area. We have the 30 GB plan and while it is a struggle to stay under the 30 GB cap it is possible if we mostly avoid video. Home Fusion has been the most reliable and fastest service we've yet had. Latency is very low which keeps my gaming children happy. We've not seen any 'phantom data' problems. Late night data usage is definitely Windows updates along with antivirus software updates and I'm certain of that because I know the times I've configured those to occur. We have previously had satellite from multiple providers and a 3G/4G MiFi. The MiFi worked well for us but did disconnect at least daily. The only cons to Home Fusion are the price and the data cap as far as I can see. It also seems that very few Verizon staff actually know anything and frequently give very bad advice. I never turn the router or cantenna off. Those who are experiencing unexplained data usage very likely have infected computers, neighbors using their WiFi, etc. Most video players and devices will default to HD or HQ mode with a connection this fast. Being aware of that and decreasing playback quality will improve the situation. We definitely don't need more frivolous class action lawsuits that further increase the price for all of us. No I don't work for Verizon and don't particularly like the company. We have a saying in my family: 'Verizon, because resistance is futile' as they are the only company that reliably services my area.

0 Likes