Hotspot usage
PATDOA86

I am trying to understand hotspot data usage. I use some data directly from my phone but most of my data usage comes from using the phone as a hotspot. That makes me think that my overall data usage would be a bit higher than my hotspot data usage, but that turns out not to be true. In fact my data usage is shown as <2GB while my hotspot data usage is >12GB. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Hotspot usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure that you can view your hotspot usage, PATDOA86. Which plan do you have? Here's more about viewing your usage with an unlimited plan:

https://www.verizon.com/support/tools-for-monitoring-usage/#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20an%20unlimited...

Based on your unlimited plan, you may get a set allotment of 4G LTE speed data each bill cycle. -RSM

0 Likes
PATDOA86

I have the "Play More Unlimited" plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing this helpful information. With the Play More Unlimited data plan you will receive an allotment of 15 GB to use. Can you please let us know what you use your Mobile Hotspot for? Also, what type of deices are you connecting to the Mobile Hotspot?

Here is a helpful link to view more details about Mobile Hotspot http://vz.to/2iJssGf.

SylviaT_VZW

0 Likes
PATDOA86

Hi,

I understand that I have 15 GB hotspot usage with my plan. I connect my laptop to my hotspot. I use email and browse the web -- that is really it. I do not watch a lot of video or anything that I think of as intense data usage.

My original questions remain unanswered: how can my data usage be so low when my hotspot usage is so high? Also, is there a way to check how much of my high speed hotspot data has been used?

Thanks,
Pat
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Knowing how your data is being used is crucial, PATDOA86. While privacy concerns would prevent us from seeing your exact activity online, the data utilization tool that was a part of the link we provided earlier is the best gauge of how your data is being used. Here is a direct link to this tool: https://www.verizon.com/support/tools-for-monitoring-usage/#datau

You can also see both device data usage and hotspot usage totals by dialing #DATA from your phone or using our mobile application: m.vzw.com/m/myverizonapp

Connecting a larger screened device such as a laptop or tablet can also result in higher hotspot data usage because streaming is easier on those types of devices. Also, usage can be higher than expected because of the video component in many websites, which can drive up usage since this would be streaming. Does this help?

LynnE_VZW

0 Likes
PATDOA86

When I use the information you provided to check my data usage, it does not give me information about hotspot data usage. For instance, for my last billing period it indicates that my overall data usage was 5.1 GB. However, I received a message that I had used more than 90% of my 15 GB of high speed hotspot. I would like a way to check how much of the hotspot data I have used.

I understand that connecting a laptop through the hotspot can result in higher data usage. What I am trying to understand is how it contributes to hotspot data usage and not overall data usage. Is data used through the hotspot also included in overall data usage? Or is data used through the hotspot only included in hotspot data usage and NOT overall data usage?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No worries, I would be happy to direct you. Please use these instructions to see a break down of this information :

1. Go to the My Verizon Home page.

2. The data usage meter is the My Usage section.

Note: Round usage meters won't display for any usage type that is unlimited on your plan.

3. Click the View data utilization link in the My Usage section to see detailed data usage information. CecileC_VZW
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The hotspot data usage should be included in the overall data usage amount. I don't know why it isn't listed as such on your bill. Unfortunately, I haven't needed to use my own hotspot feature for a long time now that I'm not sure how it showed up on my bill to use as a comparison. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes