How am I racking up shared data usage when I'm not even in North America?
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a shared account with a former partner.  She almost never uses data services.  I use them.

However, for the whole this month, I have been and will be overseas, not even in North America.  I can't connect to the network!

I use local wireless services.  Why then is our shared data account already half-expended?

I'm about to write to the FCC to get this resolved appropriately.  However maybe someone here knows something.

PS  Let me add:  this is one of the most ill-designed forums I have experienced.  I assume this is deliberate.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How am I racking up shared data usage when I'm not even in North America?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could your partner be using the data?  Is your device in airplane mode or using a SIM card from another carrier to prevent the usage on your device?

Contact global support and see if they can help you figure it out. http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/support.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, my partner does not use data services.

My device is in Europe. It doesn't matter its settings.  It can't connect to Verizon.

I don't have another SIM card.

I hate chat.

I don't subscribe to any Verizon global services.

Care to try again?  How about, "the system is in rip-off mode"?

That seems more to the point.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'dRatherSpeakWithAHumanBeing wrote:

No, my partner does not use data services.

My device is in Europe. It doesn't matter its settings.  It can't connect to Verizon.

I don't have another SIM card.

I hate chat.

I don't subscribe to any Verizon global services.

Care to try again?  How about, "the system isn't working"? 

That seems more to the point.

There is a phone number in the link I gave you to the global support team.  You don't have to subscribe to global services to use it.  Unless your device is in airplane mode with the wifi radio turned back on, you could still be racking up roaming charges with the phone constantly searching for a tower.

Another option you could have utlitized was to suspend your lines for the time you would be out of the USA to prevent all usage on that line during that period.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate your calm demeanor, but how would the phone communicate to Verizon, 8000 miles away, that it is frustrated trying to find a tower?   Doesn't that seem a little strange to you?  I'll contact Global Support. I hope they know their business.  PS No one is using my line.  Please.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone can still roam on a foreign tower even one 8000 miles away from the nearest VZW tower.

0 Likes
I_dRatherSpeakWithAHu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.  That is amazing news. 

I can't understand how it works, but I'll take your word.

I've turned on airplane mode.

Shouldn't this be more widely announced?

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

You should ALWAYS turn your Data Roaming to OFF when you are outside your coverage area such as being out of the country.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ttipgem, thanks for helping us support I'dRatherSpeakWithAHumanBeing with great advice to turn the data roaming feature off to prevent global roaming charges. Data roaming can be disabled in the settings of a device. For more the detailed steps on how to disable data roaming, click http://bit.ly/y5iuoj

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi I'dRatherSpeakWithAHumanBeing,

Unknown data charges can be quite alarming! I know how important it is to make sure that all charges are accurate. Were you able to get in contact with our Global support team to get this issue resolved? You can view your data amounts in detail online via MyVerizon http://bit.ly/xB4iTc . Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes