How can I get my device unlocked?
wrldtrvlr

1) I recently read that Verizon had agreed to unlock phones that no longer had a contact attached to them, but when I called the representative said no, only phones to be used for international travel can be unlocked, not for going to another carrier.  If they have agreed to unlock phones no longer in contract, there should be no stipulations about how that phone is used.  Anyone know the agency to whom such questions should be queried?

2) How does a single line plan work with several lines?  It would seem to me that if 3 people on the same line would have no way of knowing what call is for them they would answer every ring.  How would several people use a single line.  Perhaps it's just me, but such a plan seems ludicrous.  Can anyone explain how such a plan works for more than 1 person??????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon's supposed voluntary agreement to unlock phones not under contract!
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

There's no need to use all those question marks.

Read this for more information about the unlocking agreement.  http://blog.ctia.org/2013/12/12/ctia-announces-voluntary-principles-unlocking-wireless-devices/

I would doubt that your "basic phone" would be unlockable.  In particular, CMDA phones are typically not "locked" per se.  Plus there is nothing in the agreement that forces carriers to activate phones from other carriers on their networks.  On what carrier was your niece going to use the phone?

The "cell phone repair store" employee was misinformed.  Verizon 4G LTE phones are already unlocked.  But 3G "Global ready" phones are not.

And again, single line plans are for single lines.  It sounds like the rep may have been talking about something else.

View solution in original post

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

1. The carriers had 3 months to partially implement the plan and 12 months to fully implement it.  What phone are you asking about in particular?

2. The single line plan (as the name indicates) is for single lines.  "Several people" would not be using a single line.

wrldtrvlr

I can only go by what the Verizon agent told me about the single line plan, which did not make sense, which is why I asked the question on this forum.  She explained, as a response to my asking about a family plan, the single line that could be used by several people.  My question to her was, the same as my question on this forum....how would one know who a call was for, and why would anyone consider several people using phones on a single line????????????

I wanted my LG basic cell phone unlocked for my neice to use, because adding another line on Verizon was more expensive on than any other carrier.  It would be more economical for her to get her own service, but she does not want to be locked into a contract. I have 2 perfectly good phones so why should I have to buy another?

I would leave Verizon now were it not for the contract.  I was told by the agent I could go to a cell phone repair store and get it unlocked but Verizon would not do it.  After speaking with someone at a cell phone repair store, he told me if  I had an international phone, it did not need unlocking, it was already unlocked. One of the out of contract phones I have is an international phone.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

There's no need to use all those question marks.

Read this for more information about the unlocking agreement.  http://blog.ctia.org/2013/12/12/ctia-announces-voluntary-principles-unlocking-wireless-devices/

I would doubt that your "basic phone" would be unlockable.  In particular, CMDA phones are typically not "locked" per se.  Plus there is nothing in the agreement that forces carriers to activate phones from other carriers on their networks.  On what carrier was your niece going to use the phone?

The "cell phone repair store" employee was misinformed.  Verizon 4G LTE phones are already unlocked.  But 3G "Global ready" phones are not.

And again, single line plans are for single lines.  It sounds like the rep may have been talking about something else.

Not applicable

wrldtrvlr wrote:

I wanted my LG basic cell phone unlocked for my neice to use,

Basic phones( meaning NOT a smartphone ) can not be "unlocked". Basic phones use CDMA to made phones calls and texting. Sprint and T-Mobile use GSM and are not compatible technologies. Sprint uses CDMA but uses different frequencies than Verizon. So your basic phone would not be compatible with Sprint either.

0 Likes
Fredsolman

How do I see if my 3G Iphone 6 is unlocked?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Insert a SIM card from another carrier 

0 Likes