Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

For complaints to the FCC, you can choose "wireless telephone" and write your complaint on this page:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints.  You can contact the Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint by selecting "wireless telephone" from this site:  - FTC Complaint Assistant

I am still ignored by Verizon, with no responses for several weeks.  Their "Privacy Office" never responded to my questions after they tried to convince me that there was no privacy issue because they, Verizon, were not using the tag they stuck to my outgoing stream.  I'm not giving up.  The thought that I am locked into hardware and a contract with a company that attaches a perpetual tracker to me without my consent, is abhorrent. 

Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very sorry to hear, although not surprised. 

belarm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Complaints filed with the FCC and FTC. We'll see what comes of it...

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM, mikkibarry.esq <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

I have posted a reply to this issue in another posting. So please check out my reply in the posting titled: Why is VZW injecting a privacy killing perma-cookie into my web traffic?" posting.

belarm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't use the reply feature in the forums (presumably for the same reason

I can't access their online chat), but the points you raised there only

partially apply: the tracking cookie is injected into your HTTP requests

after they leave the phone and begin traversing VZW's network. Encrypting

your traffic or sending it via wi-fi will stop this, but nothing else will.

You can see my results with two browsers here:

http://pastebin.com/SthD1qMz

You have the option of using https, but of course, not all websites support

that. Proxies & VPNs will work, but can be expensive and slow, and come

with their own problems. I recommend complaining to the FCC and FTC, since

nothing else seems to be working. Maybe they'll care about our privacy if

they get hit with a few more multi-million dollar lawsuits for privacy

violations. I doubt it, but maybe...

PortalX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got off the phone with the highest support manager available. I was told in no uncertain terms that they will not remove the X-UIDH header. I was given a number to their legal dept for a lawyer to contact. A complaint filed with the FCC at the beginning of November requiring verizon to respond by December 26th went unanswered. I think maybe it's time for legal action.

asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm almost afraid to share this workaround because Verizon will surely close this loophole, but there IS a way to (temporarily, at least) suppress the X-UIDH without resorting to using an always-on VPN:

From my testing, I have found that if my phone initially associates to the network in EVDO mode (3G), it does not get assigned a X-UIDH value.  If the phone initially associates in LTE, the value gets assigned.  Here's the kicker:  once it's established in 3G, you can then switch on 4G and it will switch to LTE without the X-UIDH being assigned.

My Droid running KitKat will not allow me to force it to use 3G only.  However, I was able to download an app from the Play store (link at bottom) that takes me to the Phone Information/Preferred Network type settings.  Dialing *#*#4636#*#* will do the same thing, but it was disabled on my phone.  From there, I scrolled down past the network info and set the drop-down option for "Set preferred network type" to "GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" to force it to 1X/EVDO mode.  This causes it to reassociate to the tower and drop down to 3G.  I then checked at lessonslearned.org/sniff to verify the X-UIDH was not present.  Once I confirmed it wasn't, I went back to the options and set the radio back to "LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA".  The phone switched to 4G, but since it was already associated with the tower, it did not pull an X-UIDH.  I re-verified that the tracking header was not present.  Boom. 4G without Verizon spying on you.  If you lose signal or it has to do a "cold" tower association in 4G mode, it WILL pull an X-UIDH.  Simply repeat the process to remove it.

I will need to do further testing to determine how it handles tower-handoffs and such and whether it will pull an X-UIDH value at that point.

I shouldn't have to say this, but change the radio settings at your own risk, blah, blah blah.  These settings worked for me and should work for most 4G phones, but you should have at least a little knowledge of what you're doing before you try.  I don't believe you need to be rooted to do this.

App Required: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mangelow.network

Also, I've filed FCC, FTC, and BBB complaints and keep getting the same canned response.  I'm in the process of arbitration with the BBB, but I doubt that'll do much. Writing my representatives and attorney general next.

asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should clarify a few things from my previous post: Verizon is probably still spying on you even without the UID. I would almost guarantee they do deep-packet inspection, but at least this workaround keeps them from inserting the tracking ID (again, temporarily) that is visible to any 3rd party advertiser (or worse).  I have also confirmed that you do not have to be rooted for this to work.  The app I linked to is basically just a shortcut to a built-in system menu in Android that is otherwise inaccessible.  Also of note, this method should work on iPhone and Android, but I do not have an iPhone to test with nor do I know if an iPhone will let you force the radio to 1X/EVDO mode (probably not).  If anybody can verify that, I would love to hear from you.

I will test tomorrow to see how this method handles tower hand-offs and such and post back. 

Now that I think about it, Verizon probably won't even see this post because that would imply that they actually listen to their customers.

Keep the letters and complaints going. Write your congressional reps.  Verizon is overstepping here, and they know it, but they don't care. They won't stop until they are forced to stop. 

asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, so still no X-UIDH after doing my workaround and handing off of several towers on my way to work this morning.  This is what I was expecting; the hand-offs are "soft" so the phone would not have to re-register with the network.  During the initial network registration (on 4G) seems to be when the X-UIDH is injected.  So, can anyone else verify if this workaround works for them?

Note:  During my complaint processes with Verizon, the X-UIDH was briefly removed from my account for about 5 or 6 days before persistently rearing its ugly head again.  I don't know if this workaround has anything to do with that temporary removal, or if it will work regardless.  Please, someone let me know.

asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, if you enable Wifi and go back to mobile data, you'll have to repeat the workaround because it'll pull the X-UIDH.

Alternatively, if you just force it to 3G and leave it, the X-UIDH won't get injected.