Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

They're not suddenly deciding to honor our privacy options out of the goodness of their hearts; they're only doing it because Senators in the Commerce Committee basically told them to cut it out.

Source: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/02/under-senate-pressure-verizon-improves-its-supercookie-opt-out

Profanity removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, my area finally stopped attaching the tracking header.  About time, Verizon.

This does not change my decision to cancel my service with them.  They ignored the complaints and cries of their customers and security experts and only took action after senators started asking questions about the UID program.  I will not financially contribute to this company's behavior any more than I am required to.  I'd have quit days ago at the end of my billing cycle, but the port request to keep my number would have pushed into the next cycle and Verizon's sneaky customer agreement states that service cancellation takes effect at the end of the cycle and they will bill me for the month anyway.  I think I'll just run out my data allotment, pay my bill off, and then cancel at whatever day in the month that falls on.  At this point, even though the tracking header is gone, I still don't trust this company not to find new and innovative ways to sell me out to advertisers behind my back.  "Verizon is committed to protecting your privacy"...yeah, right.

Verizon, I knew you were scummy back in the days of the Moto RAZR when you disabled basic phone features and charged to get them back in a blatant cash grab, but I thought you had changed your ways when I signed up 5 months ago.  Oh, how wrong I was; I will never make that mistake again.  Good riddance forever.  If we ever cross paths again, I sincerely hope that you are nothing more than a website that sells used office supplies.

Sincerely,

A Pending Former Customer

0 Likes
dnbdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

Proud to be totally free and clear of Verizon at long last. The T-Mob service in my area is just fine and honestly I can't tell a darn bit of difference over the past month now. Speed is comparable as well. Verizon when will you wake up to the fact that competition amongst carriers has plenty of people like myself finding out that they CAN live without you?

Just have to say too that $80 unlimited data is such a free feeling, unburdened by arbitrary caps and pricing tiers. I'll never go back and couldn't be happier I left that abusive relationship we were in.

0 Likes
Sungroupie
Enthusiast - Level 2

See the following link for instructions to opt out:

Verizon Wireless' Use of a Unique Identifier Header (UIDH) | Verizon Wireless

I called the number - it's an automated system that asks if you want to opt out. Hopefully, it will work!