Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
apeedoodle
Enthusiast - Level 2

This download is prevented from opening.  Just downloaded and when attempting to open, it says stopped. Warns of interfering with google.

0 Likes
Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

You may have to turn off the "Verify Apps" option under Security settings.

AFIAK, this app doesn't do anything funky.  I have no affiliation with the app developer.

I think the reason it tells you it interferes with anything is because it takes you to a system menu that is otherwise disabled. I haven't noticed any weird behavior on my phone.

apeedoodle
Enthusiast - Level 2

I always have allow other turned on. Interesting.  I downloaded something earlier.  Amazing how it takes me to its policy terms.

0 Likes
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have "Unknown Sources" checked and "Verify Apps" unchecked already, so I didn't get prompted with anything when I installed it from the store.  I never thought about Google interfering with the install.

You don' t necessarily have to use this app, but it's the first one I found and worked for me.  All that's really necessary for the workaround is to force the radio to 1X/EvDO mode and back to 4G after it associates.  The built-in "Preferred Network Mode" under "Mobile network settings" doesn't have the options necessary (at least on my phone) so I had to use the app.

Did you get it to work?

0 Likes
asimons04
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, that didn't take long.  Verizon has apparently closed this loophole.  I didn't think it was possible for them to get any scummier, but I am not surprised. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use Chrome browser and turn on the Reduce Data Usage in the settings. I have read it forces the web traffic through the Google servers to compress it and in the process it strips the tracking cookie from the path.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Snn5
Legend

From the test sites I have visited using the Reduce Data setting, this seems to work, but I cannot confirm it actually works with all sites.

dnbdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

A word of genuine thanks for the technical testing and validation of a workaround for this insanity. We're not paying to be tracked in our browsing habits and Verizon's crossed a line. Their position of "you can't make us stop it either" is deplorable and hopefully this costs them some customers who, like me, are willing to switch simply to protest. For the ridiculous amount I pay for service every month I shouldn't have to employ a complex means to protect my privacy, simple as that.

PortalX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well it seems they have gotten enough complaints from customers and the FCC.

Verizon will allow users to opt out of its 'permacookie' | The Verge

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Every article to date says Verizon will let us opt-out "soon."  Too much click bait out there right now.

0 Likes