How do I stop having my 4G LTE device "network optimized"(throttled)?
trevor51590
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a jetpack that I was issued to use for internet for the next month or so on an unlimited data plan (device is under a govt contract). It is a 4G jetpack. Once I hit 5GB, the device slowed to a crawl - Verizon says they don't throttle, but a 0.2MBPS connection is sure as heck throttling when I can barely load a web page and the speed never increases at night. But for the sake of argument, lets call it their term of "network optimization"

My question is this - is there a feature/provision which is causing this to happen on the account? I've read everywhere that Verizon chose to not network optimize the 4G devices (rightfully so with the 700mhz LTE band after the FCC had to get involved) so clearly something is wrong.

It is not an issue with the device. Save the advice of telling me to reboot it. I had tech support reset the data usage for the account and the speed went back up. Once I hit exactly 5GB, it began crawling again.

Per Verizon's official notice, "Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be a data customer who is among the top 5% of data users and have a 3G device on an unlimited data plan."

Per their official press release, they stated "We’ve greatly valued the ongoing dialogue over the past several months concerning network optimization and have decided not to move forward with the planned implementation of network optimization for 4G LTE customers on unlimited plans."

This device is not a 3G device and should not be limited in this way. It is being treated as a 3G device on the network. And it is most definitely getting a 4G signal so the device is in fact being throttled. Why is my device being slowed to a crawl and how do I get it to stop?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I stop having my 4G LTE device "network optimized"(throttled)?
Not applicable

It's not. By teh way to get into the top 5% you have to reach at least 6.5 GB so your whole 5 GB theory is debunked.

0 Likes
trevor51590
Enthusiast - Level 2

The first time I called tech support he told me it was. It is no coincidence exactly when it hit 5GB the connection speed on a speedtest dropped to 0.2MBPS.

It is.

0 Likes
Not applicable

He's wrong.

From Verizon website

How will I know if I m in the top 5% of data users?
As of October 2014, the top 5% of data users were using 6.5 GB or more of data each month.

So even if you were be optimized 5 GB is not 6.5 GB.

0 Likes
trevor51590
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, and your number is for 3G.

It is no coincidence it happened at 5GB both times, and after research others had it happen at 5GB as well. If you don't believe me and aren't willing to help please move on.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you connecting to 3G/EVDO by chance? I used to see this regularly for a while in my area whenever my phone was connected to 3G and I had over 5GB of data usage in a month. I would be able to tell this by taking my phone, and comparing it against a capped phone sitting near the tower.If you do a comparison with a phone against the hotspot, how drastic is the difference? Do you have an unlimited SIM in the hotspot?

For the past couple of months I have used at least 20GB of data on an unlimited data plan and have not seen any sort of throttling on either the 3G or the LTE (AWS or 700Mhz). I'm currently sitting at 39GB this cycle.

tkserty

Now that AT&T has been fined $100 Million by the FCC for throttling and Sprint out right stopped throttling to prevent net neutrality complaints, will Verizon be changing their policy on "Network Neutrality"?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

no

tkserty

Verizon has a big bulls eye on their back now. I'm sure they are reevaluating their policy. In the mean time I will continue to use as much data as I can even with the throttle.. I mean Network Optimization. I find it interesting that it always hits me half way thru the cycle and not when it's peak hours. I can have 7 gigs or 40gigs and I get hit with the throttle on the same week of the cycle. Then no matter where I am or what time of day I am still throttled till the next cycle. This seems flawed to me. Yes if the network is getting bogged down I understand they are wanting to slow down the people that are hogging the most so others can use it too. The problem I have is they keep throttling after peak hours and until the monthly cycle is over. Feels a lot like a punishment. Shame on me for using unlimited data with my unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
tkserty

Verizon has a big bulls eye on their back now. I'm sure they are reevaluating their policy. In the mean time I will continue to use as much data as I can even with the throttle.. I mean Network Optimization. I find it interesting that it always hits me half way thru the cycle and not when it's peak hours. I can have 7 gigs or 40gigs and I get hit with the throttle on the same week of the cycle. Then no matter where I am or what time of day I am still throttled till the next cycle. This seems flawed to me. Yes if the network is getting bogged down I understand they are wanting to slow down the people that are hogging the most so others can use it too. The problem I have is they keep throttling after peak hours and until the monthly cycle is over. Feels a lot like a punishment. Shame on me for using unlimited data with my unlimited data plan.

0 Likes