How do I switch to an old phone
AndyPandy
Enthusiast - Level 2

My son is on my wireless plan (unlimited data for all). He uses a flip phone and it's dying. I want to switch his number over to the Samsung Galaxy S5 that I used to use on the plan (before I upgraded) until he buys his own smartphone in the future. How do I do this? Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: How do I switch to an old phone
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure if you could activate the S5 anymore. Phones need to be capable of VoLTE in order to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network now. If you can activate it, you will also need to request a new SIM card for your son's line either by requesting one be mailed to you or going to a corporate store and getting one there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AndyPandy
Enthusiast - Level 2

The S5 was one of the first VoLTE phones sold by Verizon, so that should be OK. Do I still need a new SIM card if I never took the old one out of it when I upgraded?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can try, but the SIM card was deactivated before for your line. You might not be able to use it for your son's line. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AndyPandy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help!

Now the question is: how can I even try to do this? All of the answers in the Verizon FAQs refer to links that are no longer on the site or send me to a dropdown list that only shows phones that are active on my plan.

Do you know if there is an actual page on the Verizon site or, like before, a number to call from the deactivated phone to revive it?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will likely need to call from a different phone if you can't activate it online.

1-800-922-0204 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AndyPandy,

Being able to activate your device is a big deal. You can find the steps to do so at https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-209087/

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question. As I understand that you are interested in activating a S5, you would first have to obtain a new SIM. Fortunately, we may offer a new SIM at no additional charge at a store location. Would this be something that would work for you?

0 Likes